Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
has anyone ever built their own drive shower? >

has anyone ever built their own drive shower?

Notices

has anyone ever built their own drive shower?

Old 05-24-2010, 08:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default has anyone ever built their own drive shower?

looking at some of the different ones out there and it just seems too easy to build to justify $200 on a pre fab one. anyone else taken this route?
Old 05-24-2010, 09:03 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

I saw one done with copper tubing. It was functional, but ugly.

Much nicer to buy a pretty one.

http://www.driveshowers.com/
Old 05-24-2010, 09:13 PM
Registered

the simrek is deffinatly a nice piece! I just think one can be made from aluminum tubing easy enough. Was just hoping to hear from someone who has done it before I give it a shot.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:22 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I built one from SS tubing.. I didnt engineer it correctly, and didnt work very well. But it is very possible if you understand the one that are out there..
Old 05-24-2010, 09:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mr Gadgets
I built one from SS tubing.. I didnt engineer it correctly, and didnt work very well. But it is very possible if you understand the one that are out there..
I would love to hear more about your endeavors and what you speculate went wrong with the engineering aspect!
Old 05-24-2010, 10:24 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For less than the price of a tank of boatgas a guy could buy one & not have the worry/wonder of will it work? Save yourself the $$ you'd spend gathering the materials & taking the time to do what someone smarter has already done for you.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JasonSmith
For less than the price of a tank of boatgas a guy could buy one & not have the worry/wonder of will it work? Save yourself the $$ you'd spend gathering the materials & taking the time to do what someone smarter has already done for you.
Im sorry, do we know one another? If not, that is a pretty strong accusation you just made!

To quote my fiancee on the subject: "if you think like that you will never do anything yourself"

Besides, if I can save that money, it could buy me an EXTRA tank of gas! Ill call you from the river that weekend and rub it in!!
Old 05-24-2010, 11:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by hawk232
Im sorry, do we know one another? If not, that is a pretty strong accusation you just made!

To quote my fiancee on the subject: "if you think like that you will never do anything yourself"

Besides, if I can save that money, it could buy me an EXTRA tank of gas! Ill call you from the river that weekend and rub it in!!
My time is pretty valuable when it comes to doing sh!t twice. There's 100+ variations on drive showers out there they all spray water on the drive. Why reinvent the wheel when you can just write a check for the thing?
I mean of you got the time & materials knock yourself out. If not, well that's your perogative.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:34 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be done but the bends are going to be tough.I believe they either pressurize the tubing or fill with sand to keep it from kinking.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:10 AM
Registered

Easy peezy really. I used two modified "AN bulkhead fittings", a section of 10-AN SS hose, a 180 degree radiaus curved 10-AN hose end and a small aluminum bracket.

Drill hole in cav plate to accept the bulkhead fitting. Insert fitting and measure and cut protruding bttom of fitting at 45 degree angle. Fab small bracket and and insert other bulkhead fitting. Attach bracket to upper drive mounting studs and use thinner washers. Attach section of hose from one bulkhead fitting to the other and 180 degree female to female AN fitting to bulkhead fitting on bracket. Position outlet directly above drive and tighten.

Total cost was about 60 bucks in materials and a couple hours time.

It work very well, looks great and is easy to make. I ran it on my old power play for 10 years and the drive never turned the paint white again after I installed it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.