Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Does the gimbal bearing have a C clip? >

Does the gimbal bearing have a C clip?

Notices

Does the gimbal bearing have a C clip?

Old 05-28-2010, 06:43 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Does the gimbal bearing have a C clip?

I was talking to my friend who works on yachts and will be out of town for a while and he was telling me that my bravo one outdrive has a c clip that holds the gimbal bearing in place which is why I haven't been able to get it out with the slide hammer? is this true and what do you need to get that ring out? I was readin the mercruiser manual that I have for my bravo one outdrive and it doesn't mention anything about a c clip? I have been trying to get this out for about a week now if somebody could chime in and help me out I would greatly appreciate it thanks! by the way its a 1996 Baja 272 with a bravo one outdrive
Old 05-28-2010, 07:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no c clip they stopped using those in the early seventies.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:34 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 777 Likes on 354 Posts

I thought most people used a bearing puller more so than a slide hammer? Used the face of the Bellhousing to pull against??

Before you kill yourself (and this is a long shot) but if you can see 2 notches in the housing from the back side each about 1 inch long then you are lucky. That would indicate the bearing is in backwards and you can just spin the bearing around and pull it out with your fingers. BUT that is only the case if you can see the notches - ignore it if you can't.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 272bajadriver
I was talking to my friend who works on yachts and will be out of town for a while and he was telling me that my bravo one outdrive has a c clip that holds the gimbal bearing in place which is why I haven't been able to get it out with the slide hammer? is this true and what do you need to get that ring out? I was readin the mercruiser manual that I have for my bravo one outdrive and it doesn't mention anything about a c clip? I have been trying to get this out for about a week now if somebody could chime in and help me out I would greatly appreciate it thanks! by the way its a 1996 Baja 272 with a bravo one outdrive
Read this starting at post number 23, You may need to sign up to see the photos though, Not sure.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=364003