trs drive leaking like a bi.... >

trs drive leaking like a bi....

Notices

trs drive leaking like a bi....

Old 06-13-2010, 08:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trs drive leaking like a bi....

when i pulled my 84 formula f302 with trs drives out of the water and tilted the drives up i had a steady stream of gear oil coming out of a drive.... i looked up in there and a rubber line was cracked leaking real bad....

what line is this?
and how do i fix it?

thanks
Old 06-13-2010, 10:04 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That's the line running from the reservoir inside the boat to the drive. Usually you have to remove the drive, bellows and bell housing to gain access to the hose clamp.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by picklenjim
That's the line running from the reservoir inside the boat to the drive. Usually you have to remove the drive, bellows and bell housing to gain access to the hose clamp.
Yep. Big pain in the butt to do.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:42 PM
Registered

damn thanks guys
Old 06-13-2010, 10:51 PM
Registered

that drive is leaking water in the engine compartment anyway they siliconed the crap out of it. how much does it cost to pull that and put a new seal in that so im not taking on water?
Old 06-13-2010, 10:52 PM
Registered

Actually its not THAT bad of a job to do, just time consuming. Chances are, you are due to replace your bellows anyhow, you shouldn't have to remove your bellhousing but you'll definitely have to take off the bellows to get to the clamp on the transom assembly. Unless you have really tiny hands and fingers
Old 06-13-2010, 10:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mookster
that drive is leaking water in the engine compartment anyway they siliconed the crap out of it. how much does it cost to pull that and put a new seal in that so im not taking on water?
Where did they use silicone? What keeps water out is the rubber o-ring that comes in the gasket kit. The gasket is more to just take up differences in the castings between the drive and the bell-housing, it doesn't really seal anything, the o-ring does that.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:51 PM
Registered

Gasket does work as a secondary seal around the drive lube coupling that's on the drive going to the bellhousing.

Removing the bellhousing makes it a lot easier to change the bellows instead of trying to cram the bellows in there and getting the ends on straight with bellows adhesive on it and then putting on the bellows clamps. Only requires removing the 2 hing pins.

Last edited by picklenjim; 06-13-2010 at 11:58 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:08 AM
Registered

dont forget i have the borg and warner trans too.
the silicon is on the outside of the boat all cobbed up around the drives that meet the transom
Old 06-14-2010, 10:21 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mookster
dont forget i have the borg and warner trans too.
the silicon is on the outside of the boat all cobbed up around the drives that meet the transom
Transmission won't have anything to do with changing the hose. Usually that gasket between the transom and the gimble assembly doesn't ever leak and they last a long time. The gasket is $50. Most shops charge around $100 an hour labor. I would think it would take 6-10 hours to complete. You need to get an estimate from a shop if your not going to do it yourself. I would think to change that gasket and replace the bellows and oil line is gong to be at least $1500.