HELP PLEASE 509 bbc Bravo I >

HELP PLEASE 509 bbc Bravo I

Notices

Old 07-04-2010, 09:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello i just purchased a 1989 carrera 23.5 classic in pristine condition it has a 502 bbc been rebuilt 2yrs ago. punched out to a 509 not sure on details has msd ignition aluminum intake and holley 4 barrell carb.. dealership said it had 600hp they showed paper work that they had done all service since new.. including the machine shop price tag for rebuild but didnt show details of the build. Took it out for the first time (test drive) felt like carb needed tuned, the dealership found out it had a bent valve due to valve seat failure in #1 cylinder. They sent it to a machine shop and had it repaired.. drove it again ran excellent.. Drove home 5hrs took it out for 4rth july weekend ran great but the bravo one started slipping it felt like right before plane bein not knowing any better i kept driving it it was only topping out at 60mph with livorsi pitot gauge didn seem fast for 600hp could that be caused by bad drive?? ran good all day friday and sat. but then to top off the weekend sat night went for one last cruise at wot and backed off to take turn then motor started cuttin out real bad and would barely idle caused from 0 compression in #7 cylinder... im praying dealership will step up for the head atleast as i have only had the boat 4 days now. Does it sound like i need a drive and a head job?? What valves and seats should i use?? (sorry for long post) Any help appreciated... UPDATE owner of dealership called me he is goin to take care of everthing said prop is cause of slipping?? and thinks its valve adjustment or a rolled rocker i beleive? what does everyone think?? sound about right?
Travis
Old 07-05-2010, 04:50 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you running a 3 blade prop? they blow out easy + takes time to hook up.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No I am running a 21 pitch 4 blade.. and it hooks up real good at first if i dont WOT. dealer said they had tried a few different props and this one was the best but there is 4000ft diff. in elevation dont know if that matters. I pulled valve cover as the owner of dealership told me to and the number 7 exhaust rocker is just dangling there and 180 from the way it should be sittin, the push rod appears to be slightly bent or i cant move it anyways.. but if the exhaust valve is not open how does it not have compression???

Last edited by 348Travis; 07-05-2010 at 02:07 PM.