TRS versus Powerglide

Notices

TRS versus Powerglide

Old 07-06-2010, 06:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRS versus Powerglide

Hello,

I currently have a unique set-up on my 25 foot eliminator. I have a 454 engine with a powerglide transmission that turns a SternPowr outdrive.

I recently acquired a used mercruiser 454 with a TRS drive and was wondering if I could replace the powerglide transmission with the TRS transmission?

The problem with the powerglide is that it is for automobile applications and therefore does not stop the shaft in nuteral. I would hope the TRS would stop when placed in Nuteral.

The other thing is that My current 454 produces about 550 HP and not sure if the TRS can handle that.

The numbers on the TRS is: 76925 and 165G979 / not sure what year and type this unit is and were to find parts?

Thanks so much.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will apologize in advance that I am not able to answer your entire question.
I can tell you however, that I run the exact same engine, and drive combination (Including similar H.P.) and have no problem at all. 550 horse falls well within the acceptable limits of a TRS... I am not sure how your transmission would compare to my B-W velvet drive??? but I am sure that you would be safe with the TRS (Mercruiser) trans. I am about 95% that your drive-shaft would come to rest while in neutral (Using the Mercruiser application).
The TRS is a pretty bullet-proof drive. Our downfall is the weight, and ability to find parts.

I hope that this has been somewhat of a help...

Take Care,

Old 07-06-2010, 11:45 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Does your powerglide setup use a torque converter? If so couldn't you just switch it to one with a higher stall to keep the shaft from spinning at idle?
Anyway the TRS came with 2 different transmissions. The earlier models from early 70's to early 80's came with the Merc Trans ll which Mercury built themselves. After that they came with the Borg-Warner Velvet Drive. The Borg-Warner is the more heavy duty of the two . How ever the Merc Trans ll would handle your power. Neither of the 2 will spin the prop in neutral unless it was running on a trailer out of water. The TRS drive would get along fine with 550 HP. The last year was 1993 for the TRS. You can usually find what you need, you just have to know where to look. You can still get gears for them and a lot of the seals. Gaskets for mounting them are availiable. Most any other parts for them you can find on ebay and in other classifieds as well as the classifieds on this site. You can also find a lot of complete drives for sale. I have 2 spares I keep around just in case I ever need any parts.

I assume you are talking about changing the complete setup over to the TRS transom assembly and drive also and not just the transmission. I don't think the trans alone would work with your existing transom assembly and drive.