Notices

bravo 2 problems?

Old 07-08-2010, 09:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bravo 2 problems?

Let me start with saying thanks to my buddy for turning me on to this awesome site! Ill try to make this short as i can. I am a mechanic and build dragsters for a leaving for 32 years, all though boats are a different breed! I need some help. I have a 1995 25 ft proline with a 350 sbc and a bravo 2 outdrive. I have replaced the main coupler 3 years ago and always maintained everything. My problem is a few trips back it started going into forward slow and taken about 3-5 sec. I adjusted the shifter and manuely took the cable off the outdrive and still had a problem. The last trip out it popped out of gear on me and when i put it back in it took awhile then clunged going in and when i brought it up to 1500 rpm it vibrated bad! So i pulled the outdrive top apart and nothing, i was told maybe clutch or gears, Perfect looking am i missing something? thanks for the help dan also the boat has around 500 hrs now and always babied no skying just pleasure fishing
Old 07-09-2010, 09:45 AM
Registered

Default bravo 2 tear down

Well we torn my all apart and nothing! I even took all the parts the the real boat mechanic of 45 years and he said looks new put it back together with merc 90 wt oil. Could oil cause all these problems? Or am i missing something else? What is a good oil to use in a bravo outdrive?
Old 07-09-2010, 10:00 AM
Registered

Received 754 Likes on 406 Posts

Merc High Performance Gear Lube. The green stuff.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:24 AM
Registered

Well guys i took it out this weekend and every thing seems to be fine??? i did use the merc high per 90 wt gear oil this time. it really hits into gear now. my concern is now what caused the fibration and why did it kick out of gear? i also took the prop in to have check and it was fine? thanks again dan