Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Bravo one complicated drive question!!! >

Bravo one complicated drive question!!!

Notices

Bravo one complicated drive question!!!

Old 07-11-2010, 05:41 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Bravo one complicated drive question!!!

I'm almost done putting my bravo one outdrive in the boat and I had a few questions. I took the outdrive out in neutral like I was supposed to. I took the back timing cover off in order to align the timing marks when putting the u joint assembly back in. When I put the back housing cover back on the metal ball that goes on the back housing cover pushes the teeth on the outdrive in because it moves the shift linkage in the back of the outdrive and it is very hard for me to get it out using long nose pliers. So I thought to just put the drive in without the back housing cover so that way the teeth are sticking out and can grap the shift cable and then after I put the outdrive on I was going to just put the back housing cover back on with the metal ball? Is this ok to do or no? and also When I turn the prop shaft is that supposed to turn the engine coupler on the outdrive as well or does that mean that the drive is in gear?
Old 07-11-2010, 07:08 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you put a finishing nail in a small set of vice grips you should be able to shift the drive with the back cover on. The first time it takes some effort to get it to shift, but you must turn the input shaft in order to shift it. You should be able to get it to a point where the linkage is hanging out of the drive and it will slip into neutral without binding. Rotating the input shaft will get you there.
If you choose to put the drive on with the back cover off, that is ok also. Just make sure you don't fill it with junk as you install it. And make sure the shift cable engages the linkage. With the cap on, it is less likely to snap into neutral and the cable will engage. But so long as it engages, it doesn't really matter, cover on, cover off.. You are making progress!!
Keep at it.
Dick
Old 07-11-2010, 07:34 PM
Registered

Mr. Gadgets I can't thank you enough for all the help you have given me. I have saved my self A LOT of money by doing things myself, it might take me a long time and it might give me some headaches but the next time I do it will just be that much easier, and the feeling of being out on the water knowing you fixed your boat yourself to me is incredible!
Old 07-11-2010, 07:43 PM
Registered

Also Mr. Gadgets when I was trying to install the outdrive today it wouldn't go all the way in there and I'm pretty sure it's because my gimbal bearing that I replaced isn't placed all the way in there like its supposed to, when the outdrive stopped going in it still had about an inch to go and when I was turning the prop shaft it to align the splines it only turned counterclockwise and would not turn clockwise, does that mean it's in gear? It still has the back housing cover off and I gotta bottom out the gimbal bearing before trying to install it again but why would it only turn counterclockwise and not clockwise?
Old 07-11-2010, 07:56 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Did you check the alignment with an alignment tool prior to trying to reinstall the drive???? It needs to be checked and corrected if its off.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:54 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Griff is correct, you should check alignment..
But do make sure that gimbal bearing is seated properly.

The prop will turn in one direction if it is in gear and the input shaft has lined up with the coupler splines. You would have to turn the motor over with the prop in that case.
Dick
PS. you are welcome.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:01 AM
Registered

I didn't check alignment again because I figured it was aligned before so all I did was take the outdrive off and and install a new gimbal bearing, there should be no reason why the engine should have moved just sitting on the trailer. I figured since all I did was replace the gimbal bearing and u joints and since now it doesnt wan't to go in all the way then the problem has to be gimbal bearing related which makes sense correct? I took a picture with my phone of what it looked like and here it is

Old 07-12-2010, 01:30 PM
Registered

I am no expert by any means but it doesn't make sense as to how installing a new gimbal bearing can throw the alignment of the engine if the engine hasnt moved? Hopefully someone can inform me?
Old 07-12-2010, 02:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes the gimbal bearing has to be realigned to engine when you install a new one. Once it's seated. Some people tap the alignment tool to help align bearing in it's case. U need to get a proper alignment tool if you dont have one and lightly work the bearing until the tool slides all the way in with ease. Slightly off and the tool wont go in smooth. It should be easy to do just takes a little time. Manual says you should be able to slide all the way in and out holding tool with 2 fingers. Use some spline grease and check spline marks on end to be certain you are inserting tool all the way.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:40 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by 272bajadriver
I am no expert by any means but it doesn't make sense as to how installing a new gimbal bearing can throw the alignment of the engine if the engine hasnt moved? Hopefully someone can inform me?

The outer portion of the gimbal bearing is spherical,
it is not a bearing where the inner and outer races are
in a fixed parrellel position, it can be rotated within
the outer race.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.