Bravo XR lower broke, underwater hit >

Bravo XR lower broke, underwater hit

Notices

Bravo XR lower broke, underwater hit

Old 07-12-2010, 07:04 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bravo XR lower broke, underwater hit

So I was cruising at 45mph and hit a submerged dock that was floating just under the surface of the water and bent the skeg and took out a XR drive and it did a little hull damage. Drive locked up and it seams like is the in the lower.
So time to put a new drive on. Wanted everyone’s input on what drive I should get. 2002 Fountain 29 Fever. I have been very, very easy on the boat knowing the drive is the weak link. Was not expecting to take a drive out by hitting anything!
Knowing the insurance company is probably going to give me the run around I may just upgrade now and not get another XR.
Money is always an issue but paying more now will be better then breaking a drive later and never getting into the power the boat has because I have that worry in the back of my mind about the drive being the "weak link".
Is there someone that beefs-up an XR's that will take the torque?
I'm sure Mr. Gadgets has some good details here on what I should do. Talked with Bill (300 convincer) saturday and he said "you are man". All thoughts from everyone will be welcome and if someone has a beefier drive for sale please PM me.
Thanks

Last edited by 29Fever575sci; 07-12-2010 at 09:11 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:35 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Arneson conversion.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:53 AM
Registered

Get an Arneson Surface drive if you can afford it. Also, you will get a huge rooster tail.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:58 AM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Imco SCX w SC lower or sportmaster lower. Easy and direct bolt on. Rated way over your HP.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:48 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The XR upper gears have been breaking teeth off at the base (thickest part of the tooth). You just dont know if you are going to get a good set or not, until it breaks. Then you can say.. yeah that set was pretty ok.. lasted 50hrs.. The first set went 5hrs and the one before that went 300hrs. Just a crap shoot in my book.
I like the SCX. I dont own one yet. But they have not reported any broken gears. That is more than one can say for the XR. I think the SCX upper with an SC lower would fit the bill in your case. The lower gears are a maintance item. If you want to loose that worry then a full SCX. From what I am hearing, Imco has a winner, so far.
If you have any questions on what is needed for a swap.. give me a pm.

Dick
Old 07-12-2010, 07:56 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would go with the SCX upper and the SC lower,or a B-Max
Old 07-12-2010, 08:28 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

I am running an SCX upper / SC lower this season. So far, no issues to report. I run hard and run the ocean most of the time. Making about 750 + H.P. in a 25 Checkmate. Personally, I would stay away from B-Max drives.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:01 PM
Registered

Got the drive off and the lower took the hit and feels like it broke the gears. Not a single piece of metal on either magnet so when it locked from the impact nothing got into the upper. The upper feels good but it needs to be tore down and inspected anyway.
Been talking with a guy about better shafts that give a little flex, cryo and polish the gears... May go that way depends on what happens with the insurance guy. With the hull taking a little hit it is obvious I hit something, but from what I hear it is a crap shoot if they will cover anything.
Really thinking of the IMCO SCX with the SC lower. Sounds like people are having good luck with them. Checked on a price for a Bmax and it is 15,750.00 and 5 weeks out min.
Who's got the best price on an IMCO?
Old 07-13-2010, 05:55 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

PM sent..