welding lower unit

Notices

welding lower unit

Old 07-31-2010, 01:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks little d
that was what i was looking fore..

rchevelle i just want to give it a try before spending the 800us plus shipment to europe
Old 08-29-2010, 05:33 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by little d
I do and have done alot of aluminum welding in my time. You must take out the internals first, bead blast not sand blast all the paint off a least 6 inches around the crack, it will be alot bigger then its showing also, then the outdrives are a poured casting and they are full of pits and holes, very pour castings all the time hard to weld and look good. pre heat is a key to stop warping also. It can be done but only tig!!! dan my 2 pennys
Little d are you still around ?
we welded a skeg on the rh motor with succes but this one causes us some headace every time we finnish the weld it cracks down the middle or just on the side of it......
we have tried with drilling holes making V shapes, welding backwards ect...
I guess we donīt have the pre-heat and cool off correct ?
how would you pre heat and at what temp..

all ideaīs welcome
we weld with helium/argon mix and tried with pure alu and mixed "rods"

thx
Old 09-03-2010, 01:45 PM
Registered

just got back to the comp, been really busy. i know the last couple i did they also cracked in the middle. i think the cold or contamnents blow threw when cooling, argon mixed is good, i use my tourches to heat. grind the middle back out the perheat and do it again. i grind mine back out with carbit tip hand dremils not sanding wheels the check and see if it has welded through then cross weld it again. hope it goes well dan