Notices

Alpha SS

Old 08-05-2010, 08:07 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Alpha SS

anybody know anything about an alpha ss drive? will they bolt up to a regular alpha one gen 1 transom assembly??
Old 08-05-2010, 08:40 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, they are a direct bolt on for the gen 1 transom assembly. Gen II requires modifications to the trim rams and bellhousing.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 87MagnumII
anybody know anything about an alpha ss drive? will they bolt up to a regular alpha one gen 1 transom assembly??
I think they should bolt right up to a regular housing I attached a few pics so you can see if it looks the same as what you have
Attached Thumbnails Alpha SS-drive1.jpg   Alpha SS-drive2.jpg  
Old 08-05-2010, 08:47 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Originally Posted by andyt25
I think they should bolt right up to a regular housing I attached a few pics so you can see if it looks the same as what you have
what kind of power can these handle?? Jasper sells remanufactured ones for 2700 bucks and i was thinking about getting one for my new engine this winter. is there a noticable performance difference from a regular alpha?? they kinda look like the black hawk in the pics as short as they are but i know they are not the same
Old 08-05-2010, 09:00 PM
Registered

what kind of power can these handle?? Jasper sells remanufactured ones for 2700 bucks and i was thinking about getting one for my new engine this winter. is there a noticable performance difference from a regular alpha?? they kinda look like the black hawk in the pics as short as they are but i know they are not the same
I think it all depends on the way you drive the boat but I've seen alot of people running 5-600 hp through them on lighter boats I dropped a motor on my boat last month and the new motors I'm building should be around 400 hp strokers so I'm hoping that the hold up to that. On my boat it takes a bit to get up on plane with the shorter drives it blows the props out easily but I think 4blade props should help with that
Old 08-05-2010, 09:05 PM
Registered
Gold Member

any top speed difference over a regular alpha? im gonna be pushin close to 400 hp myself with new 350 im building, my boat is 20 ft under 3000 lbs

check it out here
http://www.concordboats.com/Magnum-II.html

Last edited by 87MagnumII; 08-05-2010 at 09:07 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:18 PM
Registered

any top speed difference over a regular alpha? im gonna be pushin close to 400 hp myself with new 350 im building, my boat is 20 ft under 3000 lbs

check it out here
http://www.concordboats.com/Magnum-II.html
looks like a fun boat . I would think it would be a little faster with the ss drive they put them on alot of boats like the powerplays in the same size range as your boat usually with the 320 efi engine
Old 08-05-2010, 09:24 PM
Registered
Gold Member

cool deal, i might look into it this winter, i would love to try one before i buy but i figure thats a slim to none chance, but i would say it would have to be a little quicker being shorter and more hydrodynamic
Old 08-05-2010, 09:34 PM
Registered

cool deal, i might look into it this winter, i would love to try one before i buy but i figure thats a slim to none chance, but i would say it would have to be a little quicker being shorter and more hydrodynamic
yeah you rarely see any used ones for sale but if you're not in a hurry to get one you might find one before spring
Old 08-06-2010, 01:16 AM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The will bolt to a standard gen 1 alpha, but will need a longer down shaft, as the upper on a SS is shorter then a reg alpha is.. A ss is 2.5 inches shorter then a reg alpha.. Unless you can get a complete SS, put a nose cone on your alpha IMO. Also have heard they are the same lower as a sport master for a out board.

John jr