Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Gimbal and bellhousing blown..questions..please help!!! >

Gimbal and bellhousing blown..questions..please help!!!

Notices

Gimbal and bellhousing blown..questions..please help!!!

Old 08-18-2010, 07:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gimbal and bellhousing blown..questions..please help!!!

I have a 88 baja with the small bravo on it, and something happed this weekend. Blew the gimbal housing apart, trim cylinders hanging, the whole 9 yards. But any, I believe the upper and lower is fine. I just wanna upgrade to a hp style. I was just wondering if my outdrive will bolt up to it, or do I need to get a whole new upper and lower??
Old 08-18-2010, 08:44 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The first Bravo's had a dipstick in the top and no reservoir. If you do have a reservoir, then the drive will bolt up. If not, the valve on the bellhousing will have to be removed if there is no space for it to sit into. Been a while since I looked at an old one.
But the drive will bolt up, without a problem. Only difference is the reservoir, whether or not you have it now.
Hope that helps.
Dick
Old 08-18-2010, 09:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My drive does not have a tank on it, it has the dipstick. Will this drive bolt right up to a HP gimbal though?? I need a "beefer" set up, but I dont have the money to spend on a xr or anything..
Old 08-19-2010, 09:07 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The HP gimbal has the check valve the sticks out of the helmet. On newer drives it would interface with a seal and ball with a spring that is pressed into the drive. When the drive is bolted up, it connect the reservior to the drive.
On your drive look for a recess where the valve on the helmet can fit into with hitting. Otherwise you will need to remove that valve from the helmet on the new assembly. But your drive will bolt up to it with only that one interference..
Hope that makes sense.
Dick