Is a bravo good enough???

Notices

Is a bravo good enough???

Old 08-22-2010, 01:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default surface drive

Originally Posted by larby
Thanks, I'll have a look into the sc's and see if they're likely to be strong enough. Re-rigging isn't an issue at all as the boat isn't rigged! I could put in a V drive if I wanted at the stage it's at!

Cheers, I'll most likely keep in touch via email, easiest for me! The DPX is quite an old drive, but good. Finding one is the issue! DPR is newer and way out of my price range!

Hi Dick, thanks for getting involved and helping again! I'm amazed you're not fed up with me yet!!
The main issue I have is that having a drive break really isn't an option to me like it is in the US. Our tides run at 12 knots plus (15mph!!), and it's very rocky and rough here. If i lost all drive, me and my family could be wrecked on rocks in seconds, with no-one around to help.
A friend of mine with much the same setup but slightly less power just snapped teeth off the gears in a brand new bravo x drive, so that doesn't fill me with confidence in their gears!
The volvo DPX has been known to run past 100mph and doesn't seem to have the limitations of the B3.

Right now I'm very tempted to try a surface drive with rocker tabs and a little fin on the bottom of the skeg to give bow lift, that combination seems to work quite well for others, and at least I'd know the drive isn't gonna break! I can get a lancing fixed surface drive here in the UK relatively cheaply.

James
hi james i have known mike at lanceing for 30 +years we even had jag powerd boats at the same time his was a 23ft phantom i had a shakespere with the jag 4speed box and shaft drive he will sort you out with the write bit of kit not prity but works well and very strong not much to break good luck with wot you go with off sub the boat mike won london to monte carlo in the 70s is in a museum just ut the road from me wot a race that must have been allso the guy helping you out mr gadget seems very helpfull and knows his way round drives when it come to beefing up my B1s i may take his advice. keep me posted re paul from uk
Old 08-22-2010, 01:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ps from last messg

regarding speed for duo props the ocke mannerfeld V24 boats run single 5.7 gxi volvo duo props and can 80 -85 mph and dont no if you have heard of them in the states they are 2man 24 feet v bottom very very good it the rough seas the class off race is called V24offshore . regards paul
Old 09-08-2010, 04:28 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a perfect set of Lab Props for a DPX if you find one, check them out, they are on ebay.