Notices

Is a bravo good enough???

Old 08-19-2010, 03:19 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a bravo good enough???

Hi everyone in the States!

I'm currently rebuilding a 'Revenger 25'. It's a very sleek, low 25' inboard powerboat, as below. It'll also be quite light I'd imagine due to it's small size.

I'm going to be running a supercharged 502, running low boost, so I'm assuming around 500hp.
The boat will be used for pleasure and monthly racing in heavy offshore waters, it will see a lot of air time and I won't be backing off or taking it easy, especially when racing.

Currently the boat has a bravo drive fitted, which lasted for 10+ years of racing behind 400hp.

Will it be man enough behind 500hp though? Bear in mind this is a light, thin boat, not a hulking great wellcraft or something!
Thing is, it's a single engine boat and the waters around here are quite dangerous if I lose power, so just rebuilding it when it breaks isn't an option.
I've pretty much asked this before and it was suggested that I stick to bravo, but I can't help but think there must be a better option. I can see me ending up having to baby a bravo.

As I'm at the 'build' stage, now would be the time to change drive, as nothing is built yet.
All of that said though, I don't have a big budget, so buying konrad drives etc just isn't an option and I'm not convinced buying uprated versions of bravos is gonna help much either.

I can't help but wonder about a ssm drive, or surface drive, though I'm told a surface drive wouldn't work as the hull will require bow lift to run.

Impossible situation, I know, but any suggestions anyone?

Cheers, James

Old 08-19-2010, 06:57 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd run the Bravo ....you can get a New upper for less than 2K ....
Old 08-19-2010, 07:00 PM
Registered

I'm not the best one to answer you question, but if you decide the standuard Bravo 1 is not enough, I have a like new XR complete drive for sale, with lwp, and a nose cone.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:49 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Originally Posted by offthefront
I'd run the Bravo ....you can get a New upper for less than 2K ....
Well thats a good thing, but my main issue is what I'd do if I broke down. I could be in the middle of nowhere with no-one about and the way the tide runs around here I'd be on rocks within 10 mins, that's what I want to avoid.

I wouldn't mind if it broke in the racing but I hear most people's go when they're just cruising. That said, I do have two drives currently, I could possibly keep swapping them out, one for racing, one for cruising?

Dick (Mr Gadgets) has said stay bravo before, I gather his advice is about as good as it gets, guess I'm just looking for a bit of reassurance, it'd be such a shame to build it all up for something that turns out to be insufficient.

James
Old 08-20-2010, 07:07 AM
Registered

First of all you will most likely have about 600hp, not 500hp. I have a 502 Dart Block bored to 509, 6lbs of boost on a B&M 250 blower, and I am producing 605hp at 5500rpms. I have bravo 1's, and they get hot, even at cruising. I have a very heavy boat though. If you keep the bravo 1's, I recommend getting the Halo Max drive shower. It makes a big difference. I would run it and keep a radio and a life jacket on board. I think the older style bravo 1's were rated below 400hp. If you run your boat hard all the time, you will most likely have problems. Good Luck!
Old 08-20-2010, 08:31 AM
Registered

Received 4,271 Likes on 1,232 Posts

If you want something reliable stay away from B anything, I wish I did
I have a blown 502.. two drives in under a year
Old 08-20-2010, 10:09 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 770 Likes on 352 Posts

It depends on how you drive it. Get on it easy and you will be fine - rip it constantly and launch it a lot and you might have some repairs ahead of you...
Old 08-20-2010, 10:12 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by seafordguy
It depends on how you drive it. Get on it easy and you will be fine - rip it constantly and launch it a lot and you might have some repairs ahead of you...
Larby already said that he is going to run it hard. Larby, I think you are already on borrowed time. When I repowered my 22 Donzi Classic from a 496 HO to a 525 EFI the drive lasted all of 7 hours! The XR/Imco shorty has held up so far.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:54 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Yeah, you've hit the nail on the head there, it's not gonna be getting babied!! Racing is racing at the end of the day, and the waters are pretty rough around here!

As a few people who are running my kinda combo have said, it looks like a bravo will give issues. I might be lucky, but if I'm not and it does fail, it could be really serious for me, especially if I have my family on board!

So I guess the question is... What are my realistic options? Be nice, remember I'm not on a big budget here!

James
Old 08-20-2010, 01:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by larby
Yeah, you've hit the nail on the head there, it's not gonna be getting babied!! Racing is racing at the end of the day, and the waters are pretty rough around here!

As a few people who are running my kinda combo have said, it looks like a bravo will give issues. I might be lucky, but if I'm not and it does fail, it could be really serious for me, especially if I have my family on board!

So I guess the question is... What are my realistic options? Be nice, remember I'm not on a big budget here!

James
If you want to do it right, get a used Bravo #3 or #5 Drive, or an Arneson surface drive. Forget Bravo 1's and XR's. Be careful when you have your family on board.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.