Help With Bravo 1 Please >

Help With Bravo 1 Please

Notices

Help With Bravo 1 Please

Old 10-04-2010, 09:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help With Bravo 1 Please

I need to replace complete upper unit. Its a high performance drive. I'd like to know what the difference is with the hp versions, and what i can easily replace it with. This is what info i came up with. Build date 3-99, 1.50 gears, s/n OL453975, complete drive p/n 5C31200LP, upper p/n 863836A51, lower p/n 8866A55 [single water pick-up in nose]. I've seen price tags for over 4k for the upper only. Please help with my options. I don't mind paying more for a complete drive as long as its compatible. I have twin 350 mags. Any imput appreciated.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:12 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

I'm pretty sure the only difference for the HP designated drive is the gimbal ring does not have the electric trim sensors.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:30 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There was a series of HP Bravo drives that were about that time frame. The only thing different was the upper gear set was shot peened to help longevity. They did change springs and modified the cone clutch some, but all in all, it is just a B1. The HP gimble as Griff mentions, uses different hinge pins and you can tell them apart, because they dont have the trim limit/sender units that the standard gimble has.
To answer your question. A newer upper will work, but you may have swap out the gimble bearing and add trim limit spacers to the rams, depending if you get an XR/XZ upper with the larger unjoints in the input shaft.
Hope that makes sense. Keep the questions coming..

Dick
Old 10-05-2010, 06:28 AM
Registered

Default Bravo 1 advice

I appreciate the input, thanks. I'd like to stay with what i have if possible. Drive was completely torn down and damage was contained to upper only. I'll get lower reconditioned since it's apart. The upper is shot including the housing. Estimate from marina $7250.00 which includes a complete reman. upper and rebuilt lower. Seems i should be able to replace new for that price. I been shopping around and unfortunatly that particular upper unit is selling for about 5 grand. At this point i'll take my time and consider all options. I think my goal here is to find an upper that i can just install without any mods and not breaking the bank. I deeply appreciate any advice from you experts out there. Thanks.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:42 AM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by pino56
I appreciate the input, thanks. I'd like to stay with what i have if possible. Drive was completely torn down and damage was contained to upper only. I'll get lower reconditioned since it's apart. The upper is shot including the housing. Estimate from marina $7250.00 which includes a complete reman. upper and rebuilt lower. Seems i should be able to replace new for that price. I been shopping around and unfortunatly that particular upper unit is selling for about 5 grand. At this point i'll take my time and consider all options. I think my goal here is to find an upper that i can just install without any mods and not breaking the bank. I deeply appreciate any advice from you experts out there. Thanks.
You don't have to look very hard to find brand new take offs for under 5K. Look hard you can even find an X drive for that price.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:57 AM
Registered

Big Jim i would love to do that but will it bolt right on? According to mercruiser this particular drive is discontinued. The only way to replace the drive as a whole is to buy the upper and lower seperately to the tune of about 9k. i'd like to avoid anymore work and expense and find a direct replacement, but again according to "rocky" at mercruiser there isn't one. I really only need to replace the upper but the tag on that is 5k. I'm hoping i can find a direct replacement at a fair price.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:20 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

All you should need is a new upper, and if you end up
with a X upper, a red dot gimbal bearing.

Your lower should bolt up to the new upper.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:13 AM
Registered

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/n...ship-free.html
Old 10-06-2010, 04:39 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

How much damage was done to the upper case? Just because some says it is shot.. it may be repairable. Do you have any pictures of the case?
Old 10-06-2010, 06:51 AM
Registered

sorry i have no pics. i've seen the fully dismantled upper unit. mechanic showed me worn parts, wasted gears, bearing, etc. said housing was shot. not worth rebuilding. i'm certainly no expert but i do have a good feeling about the guy so i'm gonna accept his advice and replace the upper. lower had just normal wear, no damage. so, with that being said i intend to have the lower rebuilt as necessary. i was given the impression that the upper had some high perf quality [especialy after seeing the near 5k price on upper alone] but after some research it seems its just a plain bravo 1 with the only difference being the low water pickup. looks like there's plenty out there for sale so i'm not nearly as stressed as i was. Thanks. comments, advice, opinions welcome.