Notices

Metal on plugs?

Old 10-19-2010, 11:20 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bravo gears are known to be junk. They're always going away. I know with 700hp as I am also even if your easy on the sticks those drives are at/over their limit. If you got 3 seasons out of them I'd say your lucky. Usually starts out as fir on the magnets, hardened surface wearing, time to watch them closely. Then it progresses to flakes, hardening is gone and gear surface is going away. Next is chunks and you waited too long. Expensive enough to replace gears. If you destroy a tower or housing when it blows it's alot more cash to fix or replace. I wouldn't wait until it pops. My 2ct's.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:30 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

I would do it now as opposed to the spring... offseason is thetime to fix stuff, not waiting for it to get fixed when the suns out and your standing on the dock wishing it was done already.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:49 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The lower Merc pinion gear tests at rockwell 48-52. The driven gear tests at 56-59. After 5hrs of running I have seen the pinion gear start to disenegrate and the driven looks new. Why the pinion gear is so soft, is a mystery to me. They build them and sell them by the truck load.... like fire said.. JUNK!

The Imco SCX gears are much harder and last ten times longer.

Dick
Old 10-20-2010, 07:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a market to make some money to me, reverse engineer some gears with a harder rockwell and your in business.

we use PRO (softer) gears in drag racing so they bend instead of break. they absorb more shock this way. they dont last long though maybe one season if your lucky. They tend not to shatter though like regular hardened gearsets.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:50 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rebel_Heart
Really appreciate the replies. Mr. Gadget, you set these up 3 years ago and have been worry free, until now. He said there were more than the traditional metal flakes, more like chunks and that it would continue until until it caused more damage. I do trust the guy, but wanted to get opinions on what might be the worst case. It will really bother me to think about this until spring.

WORST CASE the gears shatter tetch get caught in the gearset and spread the case breaking the entire housing and your buying a whole new unit.
Plus paying sea tow to get you home.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:35 AM
Registered

Received 158 Likes on 77 Posts

Best to get it fixed in advance of a major failure. Like split case or tower from gear teeth hitting the inside walls. Then the only parts to salvage will be........nothing.

cheaper now, much more expensive later. Plus better to get it done in the off season.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:33 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Gadgets
The lower Merc pinion gear tests at rockwell 48-52. The driven gear tests at 56-59. After 5hrs of running I have seen the pinion gear start to disenegrate and the driven looks new. Why the pinion gear is so soft, is a mystery to me. They build them and sell them by the truck load.... like fire said.. JUNK!

Dick

Will the Imco gears go in the Merc XR case?
Old 10-22-2010, 02:35 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
Will the Imco gears go in the Merc XR case?
No. They are much larger than XR gears.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:59 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That is correct, they are too large. Too bad they dont fit. Lots of people have tried to reverse engineer them but the cost is high and not an easy task.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:09 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Mr Gadgets

Dick
More than likey the gears are made of two differnt types of steel. Its not good to have the same type material with the same RC working together.

Does anyone know what grade tool steel these are made from? I figured it would be 4140/brake die.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.