Notices

Metal on plugs?

Old 10-24-2010, 09:41 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

8620 or something close to it, from what I have been told. And both seem to be the same material.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:27 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never heard of that grade steel. I wouldnt have thought that it could get in the hard. Do you know if it is a through hardened steel? I am more fimilar with tool steel grades - A2 D2 D5 S7 CPM etc.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:12 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

it is not through hardened.. just surface.. gets real mushy the deeper you go..
Old 11-07-2010, 08:57 PM
Registered

Default Case hardening

The metallurgical process you are talking about is "case hardened" steel. The "case" provides for a lasting long wearing surface and the steel is soft and shock resistant underneath. Surface breaking or "brinelling" is result of insufficient design strength of the whole part sort of welding itself together under pressure and load. This causes the breaking of the overheated steel surface.

Case hardened crankshafts were used for early roller bearing engines and connecting rods as well as gears and shafts - 1920's technology. Charred bone was packed around the part and it was heated, cooled, heated then finish ground. Later hardening method was carburizing oil treatment. Deep case could be reground and the part reused. Once the case breaks the flaking of the steel continues and the part is basically not repairable. Welding will not work, chrome will just flake off, stellite resurfacing was used with success in the WWII era. Most of these methods are used today in repair of antiques, but it is often easier to just have new parts made from scratch. Be glad you can just get the stuff from Merc.

You might try the gears from a diesel drive as I hear they are substancially stronger.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:50 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

There is no difference between the diesel gears and the others. It used to be they did a shop peen process to them, but they were thin floored gears and that was over 10yrs back.
Merc used to supply decent quality gears, but as of late, they seem to fail at a much higher rate than they did 5-6 yrs ago.
The hardening on the lower gears does not go very deep. The hardness falls way off as you remove metal in .010" increments. Friend of mine has played with them extensively.

Dick
Old 11-09-2010, 01:58 AM
Registered

Default Merc and the failing parts

Dick - have been reading the 105 or so pages of this site - you seem the man in the know on sterndrive. As for me, just left the antique world and bought a Donzi - getting aquainted with the whole Merc thing - Dr. d
Old 11-09-2010, 05:02 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Welcome to this world and OSO!! Boats are fun when they run!
And thank you for the comments, we all learn from sharing knowledge..

Dick