Can you make a surface drive out of bravo >

Can you make a surface drive out of bravo

Notices

Can you make a surface drive out of bravo

Old 11-16-2010, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you make a surface drive out of bravo

So I would really like to put surface type drives on my boat. I have been researching all of the available options, and have to come to the conclusion they are all very spendy. Could a guy take a bravo xr put the imco -2 lower on it and then add the imco extension box which lifts drive another 3 inches up. I realize alot more measuring and correct prop depth reasearch would have to be done to get the correct depth, but I am just trying to get an idea if this would even work. Then run some surface piercing style props, and have basically surface drives? I have a 86 357 formula with straight bottom, no notch no step's. I know these boats came from the factory with kaama drives, so I believe surface drives should work with this hull. What does everyone think about this?
Old 11-16-2010, 10:45 AM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

Many high performance boats can what I call, surface a Bravo drive. Fountain race boats are a good example. However I do not think you have the hull for a really high x-dimension. It will only blow out and probably not even get on plane. Maybe check with the factory on how high you can go.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:47 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

By the time you spent that much money you should be close to an arenson/bravo conversion and then have a setup that is known to work.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:42 PM
Registered

I realize the money side of it, but as far as the theory being put into practice, is it doable? If the hull would work with arnesons/ kamma's, why would it not work with the bravo's? It would be the same concept as a #6 would it not.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:16 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 12 Posts

All other factors negated, I think even if you did do this you'd be seriously limited by the diameter/type of prop you could swing. A lot of Arneson and other surface piercing setup's use some monster wheels to work efficiently. I think prop selection will kill the setup even if everything else went off w/o a hitch.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:39 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Why do it in the first place?????? You may even loose performance and the ability to carry the bow enough. This would translate into running the hull wetter and a slower top speed.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:19 PM
Registered

I am having my motors built right now and I currently have trs's which I know will not live to long behind these engine's. I know everyone will want to say Konrad's which is fine but I like being different. I would really like to do a surface drive set up, a. they are unique b. they will hold the power c. I should be able to pull about 10 more mph on top end if set up right d. they look sweet throwing the rooster, and hanging off the back of the boat. But 50k plus on arnesons!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-16-2010, 02:23 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Seems like a recipe for blowing bravos...
Old 11-16-2010, 02:31 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Perlmudder
Seems like a recipe for blowing bravos...

Thank you

....and cracked/broken prop blades
Old 11-16-2010, 02:54 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by rob vanharten
I am having my motors built right now and I currently have trs's which I know will not live to long behind these engine's. I know everyone will want to say Konrad's which is fine but I like being different. I would really like to do a surface drive set up, a. they are unique b. they will hold the power c. I should be able to pull about 10 more mph on top end if set up right d. they look sweet throwing the rooster, and hanging off the back of the boat. But 50k plus on arnesons!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you want surface drives then put surface drives on it. Otherwise you will end up with a cobbled up mess that will probably run slower than it will with a Konrad conversion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.