Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Old School Boat needs New School Tricks..... >

Old School Boat needs New School Tricks.....

Notices

Old School Boat needs New School Tricks.....

Old 12-20-2010, 06:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old School Boat needs New School Tricks.....

Fellow OSO brethren…..After many years of service my 77 Nova Mercuiser 888 Drives have finally started to show there age. Gimbal rings on both are shot; Trim pump in one has one foot in the grave. The boat is in great shape and I was holding off on replacing these long overworked drives till last…..Enter the awesome power of OSO....I would like to either replace or rebuild the originals or (Hopefully) swap out with a newer Bravo drive….anyone have any suggestions? Is this possible? I am dreaming that there is a easy swap….say its so!! Any help would greatly be appreciated. I am also toying with the idea of a 454 swap (OE- 350), I have no clue what is involved only know its been done… OSO what do you got?
Old 12-20-2010, 07:25 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally I'm not that familar with the older Mercruisers and what is interchangable with them and you probably won't get many responses on this forum about them. However here is a link to a forum where it is mostly all the stuff your going to be looking for. These guys are familar with all the older mercruiser stuff as well as the Alpha's and Bravo's. Just go down to the Mercruiser section and check it out. Good Luck with your upgrade.
http://forums.iboats.com/
Old 12-21-2010, 03:57 AM
Registered

The 888's were a pre-cursor to the Alpha ( I think). Replacing them with Alpha's rather than Bravo's should be less expensive, although the SEI's may be an option.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:27 AM
Registered

Thanks guys, Always appreciated. I'll check out that fourm as well. I understand that were not talking about the most up to date setup.....I just figured someone might know a trick or two. C_deezy....SEI? Has anyone had issues with these? Have you used them?
Old 12-21-2010, 11:08 AM
Registered

No personal experience, but from what I've read the experiences have been mostly positive. They only do drives tho, so if your gimbles/transom assembly is warn out, then you may be better off trying to find complete Alpha units.

http://www.sterndrive.cc/mm5/merchan...ercruiserAlpha
Old 12-21-2010, 11:11 AM
Registered

Here is some other info, stating the SE106 is a direct replacement for the 888 drive.

http://www.sterndrive.cc/pdfs/SE106applicationguide.pdf
Old 12-21-2010, 11:18 AM
Registered

I had come to the same conclusion after looking at the website earlier. I now wondering if I can take the Bellmouth/Transome adapter off and just go with Alpha. The fit would be my next question. Drill, cut, bend....or just strait on/off. Maybe I start calling around. Thanks!
Old 12-21-2010, 12:16 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had great experiences with SEI on older, smaller boats. They stand behind their product and their customer service is great. If you want to go with an alpha setup I would highly recommend an SEI drive with a used transom assembly.

That said, if you can afford it upgrade to a bravo system. The alpha system is limited to 330 hp, the bravo can handle another 200hp + if its used properly.

I would make the bbc swap if you can. It's a great upgrade.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:08 AM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With a BBC a bravo would definitley be better than workin an alpha hard..

I have a used Bravo & transom assembly in nice shape that might interest you. Feel free to give me a call if it does.. Jamie / Lakeside 570-639-2628
Old 12-22-2010, 11:30 AM
Registered

Thanks Jamie.....I'm actually on the hunt for two of them, do you have only one?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.