NXT, #6 and M8 Drive Comparisons

Notices

NXT, #6 and M8 Drive Comparisons

Old 01-05-2011, 07:42 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by cougarman
Oh Tank,

I'm hurt Can't believe ya don't like these Funky Turbo's with no Bling...........

What do ya think of this one coupled with a #6 Drive

This is OSO member Check300, she runs strong and as you can see not much hull left in the water
from all the lift on pretty flat water. Best number to date 117 mph

Jon
HAHAHA, I never said I don't "like" them... I said (more or less) a big blower motor is easier on the eyes....Now that motor you posted is a bit eaiser on the eyes as well!
Old 01-05-2011, 07:45 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by thisistank
I absolutely agree that a blown motor looks a thousand times better than a turbo'd one. But that comes with the fact the major majority of us are just accustomed to seeing those sexy blowers, sweet valve covers (custome painted, carbon fiber, polishes, etc) and shiny exhaust manifolds both in car and boat application. I think a lot comes down with acclimation - we're just not used to seeing the "funky" turbo set up. I think it would help tremendiously to enhance the look of the new 1350 if they polished the turbos and some other exterior components.

But seriously, the performance, acceleration and mostly reliability of these motors are going to KILL the blower motor market in the over 1000hp application.

Just my .02
Don't get me wrong, I never said a blower engine in genral is prettier than a turbo engine, I just said merc did not pay much if any attention to the 1350 when it came to asthetics. I have seen quite a few ugly blower motors, and quite few blinged out turbo engines And that 1075 would not be pretty either if they had not taken the time to make it pretty.

Look at the bilge of a stock performance boat in the 80's and look at one today. If it has big power it has bling. Cig has more bling in their bilge than most boats have in the cockpit! The Miami boat show is a bling competition, bling is selling big time! And the newest top performance engine from merc is plain, sans the color matched plastic engine cover????

Again, reminds me of under the hood of my mercedes. Just miss the "machine" look of the old racing engines

Old 01-05-2011, 07:49 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ElimiNordic
I have heard the #6 drive will bolt right up to the NXT gimbal and some applications actually have come with the NXT transmission and gimbal with a #6 drive. Am I correct? What would I encounter later to change from a NXT to a #6? I really like the new boat with the 700sc/NXT package and the price is right, but I would hate to be limited later if I want to go up in power after I grow used to the 1400hp. Thanks for any help and insight you can give me.
Yes, a #6 drive will bolt directly to an NXT transom assembly but you need to change the input shaft of the drive. It would not be a cheap swap and you would still have the NXT transmission which is only rated for 800ftlbs

GF?
Old 01-05-2011, 09:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Got Freedom?
Yes, a #6 drive will bolt directly to an NXT transom assembly but you need to change the input shaft of the drive. It would not be a cheap swap and you would still have the NXT transmission which is only rated for 800ftlbs

GF?
And the gimble ring is not as strong as a #6 gimble ring.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:53 PM
PF Marine
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by thisistank
They can still be gussied up somewhat!

And once you ride in a boat that has these motors, you wont care if they look like a pile of dog crap...They are simply AMAZING!!!
That is just beyond badass!!
Old 01-06-2011, 12:24 AM
Chris
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CAM
Here's a TT Nordic done by Turbo Technology Inc. Equipped with a pair of GT 47-88's 590CID BBC, able to support 2500+ HP on higher boost levels. Last I heard it was using something from IMCO for a drive unit.

This is a local boat...it is running an NXT for a drive.

Chris
Old 01-06-2011, 05:17 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CB-BLR
This is a local boat...it is running an NXT for a drive.

Chris
For how long? No problems? How much power?
Old 01-06-2011, 05:21 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NXT vs #6

Originally Posted by Got Freedom?

GF?
It sound like the whole drive, transmission and shaft would have to be upgraded and motors moved forward to use more power??
Old 01-06-2011, 09:03 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

It sound like the whole drive, transmission and shaft would have to be upgraded and motors moved forward to use more power??
Yes, the motors would need to move forward if they are staggered or close-coupled to fit the transmissions. The driveshaft(s) would need to be lengthened and you would be replacing the bell housings, transmissions, input shaft and drives. Basically everything but the transom assemblies. I've done it, it works.

A less expensive option would be to buy a boat with HP525s/bravo and install the Arneson conversion and Whipples.

Eventually I will end up installing Arnesons and eliminate my last weak link.

GF?
Old 01-06-2011, 11:02 AM
Chris
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For how long? No problems? How much power?
For about a year...about 1500 horsepower in its current state of de-tune...on pump gas.

The motor has made over 1800 hp on the dyno.

I dont beleive he drives it much.

He has a stronger transmition standing by for when the stock NXT trans goes boom.

The boat is a carbon/kevelar layup...and is very light...even for a single engined cat.

Chris

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.