Old 01-11-2011, 09:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hallett 335, w/1100's and IMCO boxes.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by DaveTic
How fast has anybody run with these drives in V-bottom. I wonder if 120/125 mph is unrealistic.
I have run 104MPH but did not like the handling or the loss off my top end. I currently run a SCX upper w/SC lower. Ran it in a surfacing mode did not like it at all. The combination might work good on a heavy V-Bottom but not if top speed is the intended goal.

Originally Posted by Mr Gadgets
I have a friend with twins in a v bottom with SCX lowers he is running as fast if not faster than the XR's he replaced. Went from XR to SCX which is -2". Only runs 96-97mph though.

What boat and combination do you have Dave?

Comment:

Well I would respectfully disagree with the above conclusion.

XR vs. full SCX same height the XR will be faster anything else is misleading. I have run Full SC versus a SCX/SC lower in the same day and it was no comparison...full IMCO SC blows the SCX out of the water period. Go one step further full SCX upper and lower versus full SC drive and you would have a HUGE difference on the top end.

Carryon!

KAP

P.S. I currently run a SCX upper with a SC lower. Why because with the HP I am pushing I'm willing to sacrifice a little on the top end for longevity on the costly upper.

Last edited by kap328; 01-12-2011 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Added PS
Old 01-12-2011, 10:34 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Thanks for the good info.

Why did you not like the drive in "surfacing mode"?

I personally have seen the boat run that Mr gadgets is talking about. Not only is what he is saying true, but the owner drives his boat like a performance boat should. I have never seen it down due to drive issues with the scx (like the xrs). The owner is very happy with the scx upper and lower combo. Just as fast and reliable for over 600 hours so far!!!

I am done breaking my SC junk! In search of something better now.

Is anyone else running scx upper and lower in surfacing mode?
Old 01-13-2011, 05:47 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

I really think that IMCO could probably help it's customers out by having demo units. It would be nice to try different combinations so you don't either have to make a quess or buy a bunch of things that aren't going to work. They could charge you for this and give you 2 weeks to try it. I realize that this could be abused, but I think it would pay out for them in the long run.
The only person I found that used the SCX lower surfacing was Sonny on a 36 Spectre cat. However, the drives that I bought from Mark Terry(Dock Holiday)were on a 36 Outlaw. Read his 90 page dissertation and it will show you the rigging. IMCO boxes. Contact him and he should have some good information for you.

Last edited by SkiDoc; 01-13-2011 at 06:07 AM.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:57 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

"Well I would respectfully disagree with the above conclusion."

Sorry Kap, but this is not a conclusion, it is fact. His boat likes the SCX lowers.

I agree it didnt work for your boat. But my friends boat did like it. An we are not talking apples to apples with the two boats.

I dont like to pass on conclusions. I repeat experiences I have seen or heard about. I have known my friend for 20yrs, when he says something about his boat, I believe him.

Just my .02...
Old 01-13-2011, 07:13 AM
Registered

kyelimeagle, what gears are in those scx drives, i pmed him right away when they popped up for sale but he didnot get my mesages, but I got the scx helmets from him so far,and working my way towards the drives.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:29 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 596 Likes on 275 Posts

Doc said they are 1.50s. I was ready to drive 30 hrs round trip to get them. But he went w KyElim cause he was closer.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:35 AM
Registered

Well Im not dissapointed now I need the 1 . 34 gears, I will just have to keep my eyes open .
Old 01-13-2011, 11:24 AM
Registered

Comment:
Well a lot of stuff to reply on--- rather than cut and paste. I will simply make some comments.

Mr. Gadgets, if you read my post it says same height XR versus full SCX the XR will be faster...hands down. No comment on reliability just which one goes faster. The XR will be faster I don't care what hull you put it on versus the full SCX.

Talk to Gary Teague at GT Performance about his Donzi and he will tell you the full SCX is slower and his boat has the motors and he can drive. I hate to drop names but all this bull**** just confuses the average person who simply wants a good drive that is not going to break or open his/her wallet everytime they go out.

As for my experiences and facts they are first hand not my buddies or friends. Call IMCO they will tell you the full SCX is slower than a full SC. What you get with the SCX... is reliability when running big HP or a combination of big HP on a heavy boat. The reliability comes at a price on the top end if anyone disputes this they are lying or just plain ignorant.

Don't misread what I wrote the SCX is a strong drive and I like it on heavy V-Bottoms but the purchaser needs to know they will lose HP/top end when they put them on. It is not argumentative but rather common knowledge.

There is one person on here who is going to try the full SCX on a cat to see how it does. He has a high X-dimension and he will end up running cleavers on a surfacing SCX set-up. I am real curious to see how it comes out.

If I were to guess on that set-up I would guess that it will work but at real high speed 100MPH+ the boat will not have the control or handling. No rush to judgment rather I will wait and see what the results are if the owner does post them up.

KAP

P.S. Thread related the author here just needs to be aware of the possible outcomes before they go spending a ton of money and then find out they are not happy with the top end performance of the conversion. Wish I had someone doing the research for me... rather all my data was paid for by me [and this does not include time and effort] by the Kappy boating fund.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:15 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

575 cat they are 1.5's, I'm going to need 1.24. I'm going to test them with the 1.5's and see if it's going to work. If it does, I'll swap the gears out. If not, I'll sell the lowers and go with the SC lower. I'm not going to swap them unless there is some evidence I can get the combo to work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.