Notices

B-Max

Old 05-07-2011, 01:35 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by SS930
Who makes it?
Neo, and I thought it smelled like roses........
Old 05-07-2011, 02:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NEO oil in Cali blends it for the Bravo Shop. I don't think they sell it direct to the public, I think that particular blend has to be purchased from the Bravo Shop- but I'm not sure.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:31 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by SS930
I'll say... I'm paying $130 for Amsoil 5 gal marine severe duty.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:29 PM
Registered

IMO, the cost of the oil becomes irrelevant when it keeps the gears from going metal to metal and causing thousands of dollars in damage. If we can spend $100 per oil change, and save $2500 in parts and repair- it only makes financial sense to me to pay the $100. All it takes is 1 tooth to chip, then it snowballs inside the case... I'll post pics of my last teardown. Not to say oil alone would keep that from happening in my application, but for most people- it all happens in the same order. In my case, it just happens faster and more severely... Lose a lower gear, it sheds a tooth, the tooth binds between other teeth, the bearing and shaft get forced to the side, the case cracks, the motor is still spinning- so then you move the damage upwards, the coupler splits, wipes out the clutch shaft or clutch- or both, then the upper gears move out of alignment, then the uppers gears bind, and then the tower blows out. On my lucky days, it stops at the coupler. On my not so lucky days, the coupler lives while the clutch shaft comes apart- and then I'm replacing everything. This was a 2 hour from new occurrence for me everytime. But hey, no big deal right? If you buy 10 sets of lower gears at a time, most places will give you a great deal on them!
Old 05-07-2011, 06:43 PM
Registered

Reading this makes me wanna go back to my stock HP 500 Baja 27 .....
Old 05-07-2011, 07:14 PM
Registered

Lol, maybe the safest bet- but honestly, how much fun would that be? I also have a rock stock Hallet 300t with twin 454 mags- driving it sucks away my will to live... Keep an eye on the minor details and enjoy your boat with the extra power. You'll find a rhythm that your boat likes in the way you drive it and maintain it. Once you get there, you'll be ok.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:55 PM
Registered

I will keep a watchful eye out for the rhythm, have not found it yet...
Old 05-08-2011, 08:04 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by lvrepoman
IMO, the cost of the oil becomes irrelevant when it keeps the gears from going metal to metal and causing thousands of dollars in damage. If we can spend $100 per oil change, and save $2500 in parts and repair- it only makes financial sense to me to pay the $100. All it takes is 1 tooth to chip, then it snowballs inside the case... I'll post pics of my last teardown. Not to say oil alone would keep that from happening in my application, but for most people- it all happens in the same order. In my case, it just happens faster and more severely... Lose a lower gear, it sheds a tooth, the tooth binds between other teeth, the bearing and shaft get forced to the side, the case cracks, the motor is still spinning- so then you move the damage upwards, the coupler splits, wipes out the clutch shaft or clutch- or both, then the upper gears move out of alignment, then the uppers gears bind, and then the tower blows out. On my lucky days, it stops at the coupler. On my not so lucky days, the coupler lives while the clutch shaft comes apart- and then I'm replacing everything. This was a 2 hour from new occurrence for me everytime. But hey, no big deal right? If you buy 10 sets of lower gears at a time, most places will give you a great deal on them!
With that train of thought, if I were blowing drives up that often and running that much power I would skip any of the bravo style drives and put an Arneson or #6 on the boat.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:29 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Panther
With that train of thought, if I were blowing drives up that often and running that much power I would skip any of the bravo style drives and put an Arneson or #6 on the boat.
It doesn't take long breaking a Bravo to have spent the money to convert to an Arneson. Especially given they're about $20-$25k complete with transmission and hardware.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:37 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lvrepoman
Until someone can prove to me there's a worthwhile difference which would justify the almost 5x cost difference between the Neo and the Amsoil, I think I'll stick to the 'cheap' stuff and just take some of that savings and put it towards changing the fluid a little more often.

Originally Posted by Panther
No doubt!!! I cant imagine running 900+ hp engines and wasting time and money on bravo based drives! Switching to 6's or Arneson's before the first bravo is even shredded is a no brainer IMO...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.