2011 Sea-Ray 250 SLX with 8.2L Mag HO. Bravo 1 or Bravo 3

Notices

2011 Sea-Ray 250 SLX with 8.2L Mag HO. Bravo 1 or Bravo 3

Old 03-06-2011, 08:43 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2011 Sea-Ray 250 SLX with 8.2L Mag HO. Bravo 1 or Bravo 3

I have a 2011 Sea Ray 250 SLX on order.

Power is the Mercruiser 8.2L Mag HO (430 hp)

I don't pull water toys very often, but I do a lot of Lake Michigan boating and like top end for flying across the Milwaukee harbor.

On the website, Sea-Ray doesn't offer the Bravo Ix drive as an option, but in discussion with Sea-Ray they are willing to put it on.

My understanding is that in general, the Bravo 3x with the dual props handles much better around the dock and at low speeds, but sacrifices some top end.

Then I've heard other people comment that on many boats the Bravo I doesn't get any more top end than the Bravo 3

I'll gladly sacrifice the low end performance of the Bravo 3 for an extra 3 - 5 MPH with a Bravo 1.

But I don't want to give up the advantages of a Bravo 3 and go to a Bravo 1 if its not going to give me any more top end.

Anyone have any experience with a boat like this and the drive selection?
Old 03-07-2011, 08:10 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

You are not going to gain 3 - 5 MPH with a Bravo I vs. Bravo III on that boat/motor combo. Go with the Bravo III. You start running over 60 MPH and then you should consider running a Bravo I vs. the III. If you really like runnig top end, I would ask why are you not buying a performance boat vs. a runabout?
Old 03-07-2011, 09:53 AM
Registered

I don't like the cramped quarters and bland interior of the go-fast boats. I looked at a 27 Donzi but small cockpit, and don't like the interior fit and finish. I also looked at a mcob but same thing, didn't like the fit and finish like the Sea Ray.

I recognize that means I'll lose performance, so I wan't expecting to run 70+, but if I could just get 60+ I would be happy.

A Bravo 1x with some prop work I think (hope) would get me 60+
Old 03-07-2011, 12:26 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Not sure you will see 60 MPH GPS even with a Bravo I.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My father has a 28 Crownline with a bravo III and I had a 28 cat with a bravo I. I don't think his boat was any easier to dock than mine. That being said, there has to be a reason that most manufacturers use the B III. I would call them and ask why they prefer the B III over the B 1. My guess is the improvement on low end torque to counter the weight of the boat. On a side, I don't see 60 being to far of a stretch. My dad runs 56 in his 28' with a 496 Ho and with the right prop could very well see 60.

Last edited by powercat; 03-07-2011 at 04:17 PM. Reason: info
Old 03-07-2011, 04:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will be much happier all around with the Bravo 3. You might be losing 2mph at top end, but the handling and holeshot willl make the Bravo three boat much more enjoyable overall. Also resale will probably be better, I sense a 32-35' high perf boat in your future.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rexcramer1
You will be much happier all around with the Bravo 3. You might be losing 2mph at top end, but the handling and holeshot willl make the Bravo three boat much more enjoyable overall. Also resale will probably be better, I sense a 32-35' high perf boat in your future.
Oh trust me, if I could fit it in my garage, the Donzi 35ZR open bow would be tempting! I've really struggled to find the boat I want to move up from my current 2000 Sea-Ray 210 Bow Rider

I do a lot of raft-ups on inland lakes during the summer. I trailer a lot. Then during the spring and fall I boat on Lake Michigan a ton. Most years I start boating mid-late March and have usually boated into November. 2009, boated EVERY saturday in November out on Lake Michigan/Milwaukee Harbor.

I like the creature comforts of the luxury bow riders. Just like speed too. Can't really find a boat that will do both well.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:59 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just don't leave it in the water..the bravo III's are still eating themselfs alive with corrosion...