Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Ilmor 625 in a 2008 Eliminator???? Need Help!!! >

Ilmor 625 in a 2008 Eliminator???? Need Help!!!

Notices

Ilmor 625 in a 2008 Eliminator???? Need Help!!!

Old 04-05-2011, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ilmor 625 in a 2008 Eliminator???? Need Help!!!

I have a 2008 Eliminator 27 Daytona with a single 496HO with a Bravo XR outdrive. It is seriously under powered and I need to step it up. I am looking into buying Ilmor 625 but am not a mechanic and need some input. Does anybody know what all needs to be done to the boat to change out the power? Will I have to change my outdrive as well? Any modifications? Give me some heads up so I can be headed in the right direction.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:45 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by armormp
I have a 2008 Eliminator 27 Daytona with a single 496HO with a Bravo XR outdrive. It is seriously under powered and I need to step it up. I am looking into buying Ilmor 625 but am not a mechanic and need some input. Does anybody know what all needs to be done to the boat to change out the power? Will I have to change my outdrive as well? Any modifications? Give me some heads up so I can be headed in the right direction.
The question is will it fit front to back and the answer is most likely yes with some grinding and you will have to jack around with the exhaust tails lining up.

Your drive should get beefed by Imco or teague with some better parts but It will hold up if you arent an idiiot flying the boat like a plane.

Do you have external steering? Your boat will have a significant speed gain and you will need it if you do not have it now.

As a proud Ilmor owner I do have to ask the question - why not just get a big block chevy?

Uncle Dave

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 04-05-2011 at 09:50 AM.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:50 AM
Registered

I believe it will fit in the engine compartment with what I have read. My question is will if match up with my bravo XR outdrive and what other components will I need to change? I think I can get more power out of an ilmor with less money.....
Old 04-05-2011, 10:02 AM
Registered

I believe it will fit in the engine compartment with what I have read. My question is will if match up with my bravo XR outdrive and what other components will I need to change? I think I can get more power out of an ilmor with less money.....
Mine matches up to a bravo 1 XR- why wouldnt yours?

If you can get a deal on the Ilmor then maybe.

Ilmors have never been a thrifty alternative to a BBC, but they are SUPERB mills.

UD
Old 04-05-2011, 01:55 PM
Registered

What kind of boat do you have? What does it run with your ilmar?
Old 04-05-2011, 02:45 PM
Registered

What kind of boat do you have? What does it run with your ilmar?
28ft stepped V setup for true offshore running.

Runs 90

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/l...lown-away.html

U.D.