Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Surface Drive (whats the scoop on this one?) >

Surface Drive (whats the scoop on this one?)

Notices

Surface Drive (whats the scoop on this one?)

Old 05-01-2011, 03:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks cool, id be all over it if i didnt have my project now
Old 06-23-2011, 01:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So. That is my Surface Drive. I don’t know where those pictures were found, and I don’t know who this original poster is, because I have never spoken to anybody who wanted to buy my drive. As far as I remember I haven’t even listed it for sale.
I bought that boat from Dan Arena Jr.
However the boat was too far gone dry rot wise to even consider saving it.

I do still have this drive. Minus prop and rudder.
I have a Fresh Water Cooled 454 w/ velvet drive trans, and this drive.
This would make a sweet package to drop in a fun go-fast boat.

C Spray: Actually mine (stainless unit) is a successor of the cast one.
You can see a video of the cast Surf Drive powered boat on YouTube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezrznUSbeos
It goes 58+ and his version of the surfdrive (other picture posted, fully rigged) is an older one. The one I have is all Stainless Steel (Dan said very few of these were made in Stainless) and Is a much stronger, newer design 1 piece unit.

Dan told me that Arneson Previously ran fixed shaft surface drives due to their reliability and safety factors. In this drive there is no U-Joints to fail, no hydraulics to fail, and if you have a engine failure you still have full steering control. I was told that this drive was developed with Arneson and Arena. I have seen it on 4 different boats now, and all owners were very satisfied with the performance of their vessels. I took a ride in a 16’ boat locally that had a 2.3l ford 4-cyl direct drive with an “Arena Surf Drive” (The actual name of this drive) that did 65+!!!

If someone has a project boat that would be suited for this drive I would be interested in looking at it.
If someone wants this drive or drive and engine package I would also be interested in selling it or trading it for other boating stuffs. And no, I will not sell it for $50. It would be worth more than that just for SS salvage value. Not to mention the “Trick Factor”, and the prop driven rooster tail!!!

This drive can handle whatever kind of power you can throw at it. Dan told me 600HP would not be an issue. The boat on YouTube has 425Hp and he doesn’t have any problems with his unit.

Email me here if you are interested. I would love to see it get used.