Notices

TRS Drive Trim

Old 05-11-2011, 08:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRS Drive Trim

How far should the drives trim up when underway? Mine will go up to 3 on the mechanical indicators and stop. Seems to me they should trim up a little more. Boat is an '88 Formula 357/TRS drives.
Thanks, BC
Old 05-11-2011, 10:36 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Should be able to trim them to the top of the guage and then a bunch more. Certainly past 3. Have you actually looked to make sure the drive is not lifting? It is posible that the cable is out of adjustment or stuck. When you trim all the way down does the indicator go to the bottom of the guage? Once you trim up if the drives stop then you may have your trailer position out of adjustment. That is on the (I think) left side of the drive. To test that hit the trailer button and see if the drives go up higher. I have disconnected that trailer BS on all my boats, it drives me nuts.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:02 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The guides on the sides of the drive should not go so high as to come out of the guides on the gimble ring while underway. If they aren't getting near this point then you can adjust the trim limit switch to let them go higher. Drive should only go past out of the guides with the trailering switch. Limit switch is on the port side of the gimble ring.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:27 PM
Registered

I checked the drives with the indicators and they do not move much, so I think the indicators are reading correct. As soon as they hit 3, the pumps shut off. The starboard side moves to about 3 1/2. Sounds like a limit problem to me too. I'm pretty sure the trailer switch doesn't work, I never use it or raise my drives to trailer because it sits high enough and trailer has a rear gate. I will check it out soon.
Thanks, BC
Old 05-11-2011, 09:08 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

You need to adjust the trim limit switch
Old 05-14-2011, 08:12 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Default TRS trim cylinder extension

Originally Posted by Cold Sweat
How far should the drives trim up when underway? Mine will go up to 3 on the mechanical indicators and stop. Seems to me they should trim up a little more. Boat is an '88 Formula 357/TRS drives.
Thanks, BC
According to the Merc TRS manual the trim limit switch should be adjusted such that the trim cylinder should be 21-1/2" max bolt center to bolt center.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rvander68
According to the Merc TRS manual the trim limit switch should be adjusted such that the trim cylinder should be 21-1/2" max bolt center to bolt center.
Thanks, I should try and find a manual and make it easy on myself.
Thanks for the info guys, BC