Afternmarket gears >

Afternmarket gears

Notices

Afternmarket gears

Old 05-13-2011, 09:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Afternmarket gears

Has anyone used aftermarket gears in a Bravo? Obviously price is a pro, any cons?
Old 05-13-2011, 10:29 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Do they exist????? Never heard of any.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:06 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

The only aftermarket gears in existence that I have ever heard of are the Chinese lower gears they are using in the sei bravo lowers and sei doesn't advertise them (just the gears) yet , they would be a step backwards I'm sure anyways. Max Machine worx experimented with some aftermarket (lower)gears a few years ago and nothing came from it that I know of. I did very exstensive testing of different treatments to stock lower gears years ago and found some gains in life from them but everyone is still at square one with upper gears. I am in the works again with RMBUILDER to have lower gears built from a better material, I will post any results as they come available. As far as upper xr gears replacements, there has been talk but no one has ever gotten a prototype even built, too cmplicated, Smitty
Old 05-15-2011, 06:10 PM
Registered

I did hear that imco will be manufacturing upper gears to compete with merc. when? i don't know
Old 05-15-2011, 10:04 PM
VIP Member

I am working on a set of upper gears for the XR drive right now. Should know in 60 or so days if we can go into production. Very complex process to build stronger ones to fit in same space. Hoping for 25-30% stronger to handle around 750 HP and be able to live more than 25 hours !!!!!

If we are successful with the upper set, then I will start making lowers. Those are much easier to make.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds good Smitty!! Hope it works out, if so my next set of upper gears will come from you. :drink

I always said that if I hit a big time lottery I would invest a couple mil to make better bravo XR gears. It is a pretty big market for them and I know that I for one would pay more than what Merc wants for gears that would last with 800hp.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:57 AM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Philm
Sounds good Smitty!! Hope it works out, if so my next set of upper gears will come from you. :drink

I always said that if I hit a big time lottery I would invest a couple mil to make better bravo XR gears. It is a pretty big market for them and I know that I for one would pay more than what Merc wants for gears that would last with 800hp.
Second that!
Old 05-17-2011, 06:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Smitty
I am working on a set of upper gears for the XR drive right now. Should know in 60 or so days if we can go into production. Very complex process to build stronger ones to fit in same space. Hoping for 25-30% stronger to handle around 750 HP and be able to live more than 25 hours !!!!!

If we are successful with the upper set, then I will start making lowers. Those are much easier to make.
Mark, I hope you can pull it off, the price tag had a couple too many zero's in it for me to consider having upper gears built! Are you still available at the ph # I have for you that ends with8900? I wouldn't mind getting together with you and sharing some of the info I have garnered too, Smitty
Old 05-18-2011, 11:33 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Smitty

keep us posted on your progress.......and good luck....!!