Notices

What Drive?

Old 05-22-2011, 09:43 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
There really are no negatives to the arneson. There are some minor negatives to "surface drives with cleaver style props" but nothing specific to the arneson. ALL new, fast, powerboats run surface drives and there is a reason obviosly!
Thanks, I've heard of maneuvering issues at docking speeds and the exposed props.

Does anyone know the location between the Arneson prop location vs the Bravo set up?
Old 05-27-2011, 08:58 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

It appears the Arneson conversion for two drives would be approximately $ 53,000.00? This does not include props. What would a good set of props cost? I currently have boxes, XR's with Shorties and Latham steering. Anyone have any idea what my existing setup would be worth?

For my application, the SCX/SC combo also seems to be a viable option. I've read Imco is coming out with a new drive in the very near future. It does appear that because of my existing equipment and from a cost perspective, Imco my be the preferable application.

I know the Arneson drives are practically indestructible and I'll gain speed, but I need to keep everything in perspective.

Any insight or advise is appreciated.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:29 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

I'm going the guess all the equipment you replace will have a sale value of about $12-15K (it's worth more, but that gets it sold fairly quickly)

Switching to Imco will make you more dependable, but no faster. What do you expect to spend to make your 575's push 700hp? Why? To go faster right?

Well, spending the money on ASD's will make you "bulletproof" (more so than Imco's) AND will make your boat faster while still running stock engines. Essentially you need to compare the cost of Imcos AND engine upgrades to the cost of ASD's alone since both would net you additional speed.....and in reality, 700hp with Imco's will still be slower than 575hp with ASD's.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:30 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by kjm5125
Thanks, I've heard of maneuvering issues at docking speeds and the exposed props.

Does anyone know the location between the Arneson prop location vs the Bravo set up?
I thought I heard the ASD props will stick out 4 inches further than your current set-up......can't verify that though.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by t500hps
I'm going the guess all the equipment you replace will have a sale value of about $12-15K (it's worth more, but that gets it sold fairly quickly)

Switching to Imco will make you more dependable, but no faster. What do you expect to spend to make your 575's push 700hp? Why? To go faster right?

Well, spending the money on ASD's will make you "bulletproof" (more so than Imco's) AND will make your boat faster while still running stock engines. Essentially you need to compare the cost of Imcos AND engine upgrades to the cost of ASD's alone since both would net you additional speed.....and in reality, 700hp with Imco's will still be slower than 575hp with ASD's.
Very good points, smart info here!! keep engines stock and gain speed and reliability!
Old 05-27-2011, 06:48 PM
Registered

Received 277 Likes on 96 Posts

Arneson "LISTS" about $24,000 ea. (could pay 22k-23k out the door aprox)
Includes Drive, stand off box, hydraulic steering, Trim, Transmission, transom assemblie, etc. EVERYTHING
Needs $5000 #6 prop ea.
Can sell to recover $5-7,000 ea side, boxes, transom ass, hydraulic steering, drives, tie bar, etc.
Now ALL parts on the back of your boat are NEW and TIGHT, much safer when running over 100mph!
Total price $40,000-48,000 (worst case paying list and giving your parts away)

SCX "Surface Drive" $13,800 (listed on OSO, if priced the same as the current SCX) $15,000 (SCX Listed on IMCO site)
Includes upper and lower drive
Needs $1500 IMCO forged Gimbal ring, Helmet, fluid resovoir, $5,000 in #6 s$tyle props, $500 shipping
Nothing left to sell just stuck with 10 year old worn out parts
Total price for a pair $41,100-43,500 including herings

All the new parts, the proven design, less moving parts, and more speed increase make the arneson the winner.

I was just getting so excited since my boat currently has no drives after breaking my SC's for the last time. Been saving for the Arneson but not there yet. Could afford the SCX but only because I could use my props. Untill I added this up the new SCX surface drive was exciting me but I am back to saving my spare change. I am still excited new products are coming out which is great for our powerboat industry.

So actually the only way you can save money is to get the STANDARD SCX.

Arneson wins again!

Put arneson drives on before engines you will be much happier boating every weekend then looking at it in the garage with broken drives like me.

Last edited by offshorexcursion; 05-27-2011 at 06:55 PM.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:13 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
Arneson "LISTS" about $24,000 ea. (could pay 22k-23k out the door aprox)
Includes Drive, stand off box, hydraulic steering, Trim, Transmission, transom assemblie, etc. EVERYTHING
Needs $5000 #6 prop ea.
Can sell to recover $5-7,000 ea side, boxes, transom ass, hydraulic steering, drives, tie bar, etc.
Now ALL parts on the back of your boat are NEW and TIGHT, much safer when running over 100mph!
Total price $40,000-48,000 (worst case paying list and giving your parts away)

SCX "Surface Drive" $13,800 (listed on OSO, if priced the same as the current SCX) $15,000 (SCX Listed on IMCO site)
Includes upper and lower drive
Needs $1500 IMCO forged Gimbal ring, Helmet, fluid resovoir, $5,000 in #6 s$tyle props, $500 shipping
Nothing left to sell just stuck with 10 year old worn out parts
Total price for a pair $41,100-43,500 including herings

All the new parts, the proven design, less moving parts, and more speed increase make the arneson the winner.

I was just getting so excited since my boat currently has no drives after breaking my SC's for the last time. Been saving for the Arneson but not there yet. Could afford the SCX but only because I could use my props. Untill I added this up the new SCX surface drive was exciting me but I am back to saving my spare change. I am still excited new products are coming out which is great for our powerboat industry.

So actually the only way you can save money is to get the STANDARD SCX.

Arneson wins again!

Put arneson drives on before engines you will be much happier boating every weekend then looking at it in the garage with broken drives like me.
I'm going to have to meet up with you this summer, I HAVE to see the first Baja with Arneson drives, I toyed with the idea years ago but after the problems I had with trying a extension box and trying a Imco shorty I would be scared to re-rig my boat with no others to compare with not knowing what the outcome would be and I could picture spending the rest of my life trying to get the set-up right, Smitty
Old 05-28-2011, 10:14 AM
Registered

Received 277 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
I'm going to have to meet up with you this summer, I HAVE to see the first Baja with Arneson drives, I toyed with the idea years ago but after the problems I had with trying a extension box and trying a Imco shorty I would be scared to re-rig my boat with no others to compare with not knowing what the outcome would be and I could picture spending the rest of my life trying to get the set-up right, Smitty
LOL! Hopefully I am the first to have a Baja with arnesons! My boat is paid for and I truely love my boat, but if I could do it again I would have only put half down and financed the rest so I had money for arnesons, well I thought I had good drives (complete IMCO SC's) but obviously they did not hold. I will be able to save enough by next summer for sure, just sucks that I might be down this summer? Oh well I will figure it out!

I was scared at first but when you look at it ALL fast boats have surface drives. I rode in a 41 saber (wicked won). Aweosme boat. Its a similiar designed hull to mine, non stepped v bottom. #6's. Works great. There are not many single engine boats with surface drives though so that I agree would take more to dial in.

I am sure we will boat together some day though. You are friends with some of my other friends (Ryan and Jason) and for some reason they talk good about you!! J/K

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxjsIl3F3x8

KJM5125 has no excuse to not install some arnesons! His EXACT boat has them, with fantastic results.

Last edited by offshorexcursion; 05-28-2011 at 10:21 AM.
Old 05-29-2011, 04:57 PM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

Excursion>> just make a bandaid repair to your bravo and get out this summer while you save for the Arnesons. just be easy on it for one year.

Smitty: would love to see you come to T.C. and boat with us!
Old 05-29-2011, 09:00 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im a little confused over the knocking of the SCX drives verses the Arnesons? For the extra cost and rigging time, extra PITA with transmissions etc, has to be more weight involved verses a bolt on helmet and upper and GO! How much more speed do you think he's going to see on his Baja for the added expence just to look cool? I haven't heard of a broken SCX yet and with the SC lower no loss of speed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.