Notices

What Drive?

Old 05-17-2011, 09:17 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts
Default What Drive?

Like others, I've had to rebuild my XR's with Sportmaster shorties. In the very near future, I'm going to rebuild my 575's to +700hp. What drive would you go with? Arneson's, B-Max, or Imco?
Old 05-17-2011, 09:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scx
Old 05-17-2011, 09:58 PM
Registered

Received 277 Likes on 96 Posts

areneson bravo conversion. You have no excuse not to. You will BLOW your bravos with that power.

Imco scx = loss of speed, more moving parts, still wears out gears about 4-500 hours, better then 50-80 in a bravo but not as good as the arneson!

B-max = xr lower gears (junk) upper is strong but ugly, are they even making drives??? taking orders but actually shipping? Are there any parts in stock for warranty? I have not called in months to know but something to check. John is a super guy though.

You have it easy compared to most because someone on OSO has already put arnesons on your boat with amazing results. I believe 11-14mph gain!

So....Proven design, all new parts from the transom back, sell your current parts from the transom back, if you can affford to do the motors then do the drives or you will hate your decison to build the motors. The broken drives will ruin your summer on the water.

70 on the water is better then 0mph at the dock!

Arneson Arneson Arneson!!!
Old 05-17-2011, 10:54 PM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

what is the cost of the Arensons? compared to others?
Old 05-17-2011, 11:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Scx/sc Combo Is Workin Great,and I Believe Everyone Else That Has Them Will Say The Same(i Have Not Herd Of Any Failures),i Did Not Loose Any Mph!!!.they Are Easy To Install,and Easy To Take Off If You Want To Sell The Boat!!! I Believe If Your Gona Bite The Arneson Bullet,u Better Like Your Boat And Plan On Owning It For A Long Time!!!
Old 05-18-2011, 06:44 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by abones
what is the cost of the Arensons? compared to others?
Some would say alot less in the long run.

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
areneson bravo conversion. You have no excuse not to.

Arneson Arneson Arneson!!!
And they look sooo badazz
Old 05-18-2011, 07:11 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

My 382 made 630hp fully dressed on a dyno....but made 700 ft/lbs of torque. I got 3 years out of standard length XR's but boated mainly in fairly calm waters.

I talked heavily with Arneson. They claimed a good 10mph gain with the exact same engines.....both at WOT AND cruise. The cost is high but you'll be replacing not only the drives but transom assemblies, inner plates, trim pumps, even the hydraulic steering. These are all things you can sell to offset the costs. You'll be replacing props too, which you would be with a power upgrade anyway. I was worried about how far back these things would stick out but was told it's about 4 inches further than a boat with extension boxes (which I did not have).

FYI: I ran 32P bravos or 28P 15 5/8 labbed maximus. The boat was a little over propped for cruise speed. 3,500 was 58GPS, 5,300 was 82-83. (30P bravos would run 5,600 at 86). All speeds are listed in flat calm water.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:51 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

I'm running twin 700hp thru Imco SC's and have blown both uppers, the lowers seem to hold up fine. i'll be switching over to SCX'a as soon as my pockets get $20K deeper. That seems to be the best choice SCX uppers and SC lowers with the simplest conversion. just need to change the Gimble helmet and bolt on. I like the Arnesons but don't want to do the re-rigging nd would need transmissions?
Old 05-18-2011, 01:03 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fireboatpilot
I'm running twin 700hp thru Imco SC's and have blown both uppers, the lowers seem to hold up fine. i'll be switching over to SCX'a as soon as my pockets get $20K deeper. That seems to be the best choice SCX uppers and SC lowers with the simplest conversion. just need to change the Gimble helmet and bolt on. I like the Arnesons but don't want to do the re-rigging nd would need transmissions?
The Arneson kits include the transmissions.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:09 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Cost on those kits? Do the transmissions fit between the bravo gimble and the engines or do the engines need to be moved?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.