Notices

TRS leak problem

Old 07-09-2011, 12:53 PM
Registered

Received 1,204 Likes on 577 Posts
Default Update

I don't remember smoking crack when I put the front exhaust seal in. But apparently I was.

Last edited by Rookie; 07-09-2011 at 01:03 PM. Reason: WTF! I can't upload pics anymore?? Thank God for Photobucket!
Old 05-24-2012, 02:26 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guy's, I'm havin the same kind of trouble. Had a local marina install new bellows and check the u-joints last fall. When I pick-up the boat from storage, i find drive oil on the floor, coming from the prop. I removed the prop, and the oil is coming from around the exhaust port area. I also saw oil by the lower gear housing nuts. This TRS has always run great, just didn't have time to change the bellows myself. Could it be the o-ring in the lower gear case, or the gaskets mounting the drive to the bell. Harry
Old 05-24-2012, 02:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I need to know more about the oil rev. check valve seal in the TRS drive, can someone school me please.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:21 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rookie
I don't remember smoking crack when I put the front exhaust seal in. But apparently I was.

OK Rookie, I know this post is old but I'm sure you know that front seal isn't on an exhaust passage. That would be the lube oil circulation passage. TRS circulates the oil between the upper and lower. The drive shaft coupler between the upper and lower seconds as a circulating pump. That's why you don't see many drive showers out there for TRS's. They don't need them.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:02 AM
Registered

smdude, There is a lube oil coupler which engages between the drive and bell when the drive is installed. It keeps oil from flowing out from the reservoir when the drive is removed. It has a seal on the bell side which can be easily damaged when the drive is being installed if the installer doesn't have everything lined up perfect. This seal/coupler is right above the exhaust passage. If damaged good enough the oil can leak and run down into the exhaust passage.

Second way oil could get in the exhaust is if the o-ring between the upper and lower which goes around the bearing which you see in the pic above leaks. The exhaust passage is the large square opening you see right above the bearing in the pic.

Beings the marina removed the drive for servicing I would lean towards them damaging the seal if you never had this problem before. They would not have needed to seperate the upper and lower for any reason. Lot of marinas aren't used to seeing a TRS and aren't used to wrestling one on correctly.

Check your PM's.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:15 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by picklenjim
OK Rookie, I know this post is old but I'm sure you know that front seal isn't on an exhaust passage. That would be the lube oil circulation passage. TRS circulates the oil between the upper and lower. The drive shaft coupler between the upper and lower seconds as a circulating pump. That's why you don't see many drive showers out there for TRS's. They don't need them.
LOL, I had no clue that was not an exhaust passage. I did know the oil did circulate throughout a TRS. I really don't know much about the drive transmission portion of my boat. All though I have had them all apart. I just tear stuff down and figure how to put it back together. And once again thanks for all of your input/help.

Jason
Old 05-25-2012, 01:57 AM
Registered

Ya if you ever noticed the drive shaft coupler between the upper and lower drive shafts has a piece of round stock spiraling around it and welded on. This gets the drive lube circulating through the upper and lower drive shaft cavities and back the other way through that front passage.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:20 PM
Registered

Received 460 Likes on 244 Posts
Default working on the trs

dang it jason,
your supposed to be on oxy during assembly and crack once you got the boat in the water !
get it straight already
Old 05-25-2012, 09:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by outonsafari
dang it jason,
your supposed to be on oxy during assembly and crack once you got the boat in the water !
get it straight already
I got a chuckle when I read that I was smoking crack.

I guess next summer we will see how much these drives can handle with the addition of blowers that I decided to buy for no apparent reason. LOL
Old 04-16-2014, 04:52 PM
Registered
Gold Member

I just found the same problem puddle on the shop floor I been running the drives two years trouble free . Doing the suggested inspections and clipped the oil seal on the the starboard side. Came in this morning and sure enough the puddle . I have some new ones coming in the morning . My question is since its pressed in do i need to pull the bell housing to press out the old one ? and to press in the new one ? was thinking about a light puller if i could get the old one out but worried about doing any damage to the bell housing. Any suggestions would be of great help . Thanks JP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.