Notices

TRS Problems

Old 07-13-2011, 03:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRS Problems

so after a bad weekend with a new to me boat I got some questions hope someone can help! Has twin 454 with TRS drives and don’t know what trans hope someone can help with that also. bought the boat of a lady who’s husband passed away. And she is no help with questions. Boat ran awesome but shifters were backwards and I thought it was strange but did not think much of it. One trans locked up I think?? and limping it home destroyed the lower on the starboard side. So thinking the props were on wrong so How do you tell if the trans is in reverse or forward. Just to see if for some crazy reason he had the shifters backwards.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:56 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 368 Likes on 247 Posts

when I bought my boat, at a renown performance place (consignation sale) they said they inspected and drove the boat and everything ran fine. So, went home, launched the boat 2 weeks after because of 2 weeks of rain ! Had the exact same problem you have, shifter were running backwards... still test drove the boat for 20-30 minutes, ran ok.

next time around I was losing speed, for the same given rpm, warning buzzers started to scream from trannie over heating. swaped the props, solved the problem of being backwards, re tested the boat, trannie over heating again, so on and so on, till I could not go on plane anymore, lack of power to drives...

Cost was 2 new trannies! because for some reasons, someone had put the props backwards...

So, if you destroyed the lower on a drive, this has no connexion with props being backwards, or trannie spinning the wrong way (reverse). but I hope for you the trannies are still good, wich I doubt. I was told there is like 3 disc for reverse, 7 or 9 for forward. running the trannie at high rpm (2000 and over) in reverse to go forward, makes the disc sliding on each other, causing overheat and blowing the trannie...

I had a local guy rebuilt the trannie for me, He was supposed to know ''marine transmission'' turned out I blew them both again in forward position this time (4000$ in garbage again)

so, if ever you end up in the same position I was in, call BAM in florida, they'll ship you new ones, warranty for... 1 year I think, and you will be good to enjoy your summer, with no more trouble, and less $ spent in garbage...

push your shifter forward and go see on trannie the lever, and make sure it also is in the forward position, not reverse.

good luck!
Old 07-13-2011, 04:16 AM
Registered

Thanks how do you tell witch way the shift lever on the trans is in forward or reverse. So with the trs drives they take the power no mater witch way the shaft is spinning coming in from the trans. Well I think the trans is destroyed when you shift into gear it stalls the engine out. Looked for a ignition interrupt could not find one. And I can not turn the prop in neutral at all. Am I on the track for trans?
Old 07-13-2011, 06:23 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

on the trannie housing, on top of it, it is printed or molded in the casting if I recall right, forward and reverse. if you look at the lever where your shifter cable is hooked on, it moves from back to front. maybe have a light with you to help see it.

to make sure if it is your drive or not, pull it off, it should turn both ways, if it does, the n chances are your trannies is or are cooked. take a smell at your trannie oil, if it smells burned, even if the oil is still preety much red, it might be the problem... let me know how it goes!
Old 07-13-2011, 06:29 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

Jeff has it right. Shift lever on trans should pont forward to go forward. Yes there is an F & R cast on the housing.

This happens all the time. Can do a lot of damage.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:09 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a trs trans for sale if you would like it. This was a take out, ran well when removed. it is a BW trans. $450 plus ship

[email protected]
Old 07-13-2011, 07:39 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

If your prop shaft doesn't turn with transmission out of gear you have a outdrive problem.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:26 AM
Registered

so if the trans was bad it would not lock up and not be able to turn the prop shaft? and the main reason i thought it was the trans is it spit all the oil out into the bilge
Old 07-13-2011, 03:21 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

red oil or green oil?
Old 07-13-2011, 11:01 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ctpsd
so if the trans was bad it would not lock up and not be able to turn the prop shaft? and the main reason i thought it was the trans is it spit all the oil out into the bilge
You are correct here. It is possible for the trans to be locked up on the output side and it keeps the drive from turning also regardless of weather it's in neutral or not. Input side of the trans is still turning with the engine but when you put it in gear it can't turn the output side and kills the engine.