Bravo I stuck in forward >

Bravo I stuck in forward

Notices

Bravo I stuck in forward

Old 08-15-2011, 06:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bravo I stuck in forward

Went out last week and had a good time up until I wen to put the boat on the trailer. Moving forward onto the bunks I decided I wanted to back up to straighten it up a bit. Went to put it in reverse and kept going forward. Not only did I not have any reverse but no neutral either. Engine running its going forward. I got the boat on the trailer but didnt have time to check out the drive. Looked at it today. Checked the shift control on top of the engine, everything tight and cables move as they should. Checked the shifter and everything was still attached nothing loose. So then I disconnected the lower shift control cable and tried manualy shifting with the drive running. No respoonse. So I took it home and plan on removing the drive. I think maybe the "clamshell" thing that holds the shift cable end may be the culprit.

I did start thinking back and remembered turning the ignition off while in gear and then pulling it back into neutal with the engine off. I should know better but I did this twice in one day for some reason. Could I have damaged something? The cable end or the linkage in the drive?
Old 08-15-2011, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

check your cable where it attaches to your gimble housing and make sure your cable outer casing didnt break off just had that happen to mine
Old 08-17-2011, 12:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took the drive off last night. The shift linkage was pushed all the way into the drive and the end of the shift cable had popped out of the holder. It looks like that farther into the gear case you go it opens up slightly allowing the linkage to open up just enough to loose the shift cable eng. I pulled it back out, it was kinda crudy in there so I cleaned it up and greased the wear points. I think the cable wasnt adjusted correctly. Every once in awhile it would grind going into reverse leading me to believe that the cable is being pushed too far into forward gear and not far enough into reverse. I'll try adjusting it. I don't have a problem taking the drive off and fixing it but if it happens again on the water it may be a B*$&#^ to get home.