Shift cable adjustment >

Shift cable adjustment

Notices

Shift cable adjustment

Old 08-26-2011, 02:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shift cable adjustment

I replaced the shift cable on my Bravo I earlier this season and have been hoping I've adjusted it correctly since. I've got the little plastic tool and I think I've adjusted it correctly but I've had some issues. The other day it stuck in Forward. I removed the drive and the cable end came out of the "clamshell" holder. I reconnected the cable end and put the drive back on. Went out for a bit and did not happen again. Also it seems to shift hard. When on the trailer running on the hose it makes a clunk and knock going into both forward and reverse. Theres only a faint noise when in the water but it still feels harsh. Every once in a while it will skip going into reverse, almost like it's skipping a gear tooth or something.

The other day I was at my marina talking to a mechanic and asked him. He said you HAVE to use the locator shift cable tools like the ones listed below or it won't work.

http://www.offshoremarineparts.com/1...prod_2212.html

That doesnt make sense to me. The cable is a specific length. If I adjust one end with the correct Merc tool it should be the correct length on the other end as well. Am I missing something? Or maybe I have some internal probelms that I'm chasing.

Last edited by brwn234; 08-26-2011 at 02:18 AM.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The mechanic is correct, both ends need to be adusted correctly, or the travel in each direction (forward / reverse) will not be correct. Probably possible to do a new cable without both tools through trial and error, but that end up more like trail and expensive error.