Surface drive vs Sterndrive complex question

Notices

Surface drive vs Sterndrive complex question

Old 09-23-2011, 09:14 AM
Registered

Received 1,819 Likes on 711 Posts
Default Makes sense to me...

Originally Posted by UrbanDisturbance
About the trim issue. I have been doing research and I have talked to several Arneson boat owners, all with twin applications and 38 foot boats and single notched transoms. It seems that the correct props is the key.
Never even thought of that. Get the props to bite and half your battle is over.
IMO, 95% of the bad experienced I've seen are from rigs not fully dialed. A bunch of those people were just happy w/the really cool rooster tails on their 65 mph boats
Besides, if you're making more power than a drive can handle, what's your choice?

I think the last one on the boat your surface drive came off of was a B-Max.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:08 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
he doesn't normally sell many of his trinkets. He has a cat that when he bought it was twin turbine/surface drive, he then converted to single turbine, then turbo diesel and #3 (I think 3, and yes it died a grizzly death) and now 250 Merc O/B's amongst numerous other floating toys.
I was there picking up a boat several mnths ago and he had a just delivered, new in the box Arneson drive on the shop floor.
Was for his buddies 23' (I think) Eliminator w/a dual whipple monster motor. The guy has been through every hyper/Bravo drive he could find and all failed. Was into I think 130's w/more on the table.
The surface drive looked like a natural.
A really smart guy, did everything right. First time to the water w/the surface drive the boat burned to the water line.
Not sure where that one might be either.

They did a trip to Howards a few yrs back and brought back a wicked on board (Howards turbine Skater) video of them getting a ride proving Howard could spray the Golden Gate Bridge.
He could! His Skater has jet ski power plants to manuver it in/around the dock/ramp area before firing off the turbines!

Talk about thinking outside the box

Check out my buddies "wife's boat"
21' Ron Jones.
Before paint and after paint. Yes, he has some talented friends.

Dennis Fisher has an ASD8 In Line drive and it is not sitting on the floor, it is sitting on the transom of his Eagle, another Ron Jones boat, and he is rigging it with a Turbine.

As Dave pointed out Jerry Longoria had the 22' Eliminator with the #7M on it that unfortunately caught fire.
Attached Thumbnails Surface drive vs Sterndrive complex question-et-297-1.jpg  
Old 09-23-2011, 12:18 PM
Registered

Default Uhm...

Originally Posted by Rik
Dennis Fisher has an ASD8 In Line drive and it is not sitting on the floor, it is sitting on the transom of his Eagle, another Ron Jones boat, and he is rigging it with a Turbine.

As Dave pointed out Jerry Longoria had the 22' Eliminator with the #7M on it that unfortunately caught fire.
I'll get specifics for you when he brings the Warlock here to store in the next few wks.
We were going to run the Eagle in the Parker 300 last 2yrs yr but did not work out.
Classic boat race in next few mnths if all goes well. Dennis's fault if not
If you're friends w/him ask him about me. Maybe ask K.Warby about me as well.

How bought a picture of same boat w/a nitrous ingested 502?

Last edited by Twin O/B Sonic; 09-23-2011 at 04:43 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rik

OK OK, this guy has too many toys
Old 09-23-2011, 02:25 PM
Registered

Uhmmmm, kinda looks similar.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:20 AM
Registered

I guess I should get in this since two of my best friends, who do not know each other, have injected me into the frey.

Gary,
You are off on reversing with the Arneson. The prop is not surfacing when you need reverse, at least I hope not. Jerry's 22 Eliminator backed and handled at the dock just like any other single, twins are so much better.

I met Rik in 1995 when Howard invited us out for a boat ride. Us being me, Gean & Chalaine. Other than stepping all over his tongue following Chalaine around, he was and still is one of the good guys. You remember that the Eagle came from the San Francisco area. Rik was the one who went to inspect it to see if a restoration was possible and he did not even bill me for the gas. I think I have him talked into coming to Louisiana to help me get the T58 fired up. Good guy for sure.

Rik,
I met Gary in 2001 at a boating event he organized in Carrolton, Kentucky. All proceeds went to the Make a Wish foundation. I spent two days riding Make a Wish kids and their families in the Warlock. It was way cool. Gary introduced me to Ken Warby at that event which led to the trip to your shop so two of my boating heros could meet.

Side note: Sitting at the table with two of boatings greatest Icons while they traded stories was one of the high points of my life.

Back on subject, I have attend several events with Gary and he has stayed here at the house several times. He has graciously said I can leave the Warlock at his place in Florida for quite a while so Gean & I can do the Florida boating scene without having to pull 2,000 miles each trip. He is also one of the good guys.

On the Eagle. Yes - those pics are of the same boat. I did the restoration of the 1969 Ron Jones ET in 2002 using the original #2 Merc Speed master lower unit powered by a 502 Chevy . Rik put me on to a G.E. T58 turbine in 2006 and the idea was born to convert the boat and use an Arneson #8. I sent dimensions of the boat to Howard and he sent me all the changes he wanted made to the hull. I had to change the transom angle, shorten the setback, add outer tunnel lifting strikes, etc. I got off on other projects and it has been 3 years with little progress. Now it has been moved to the front of the line should run in two weeks or so. Here is what it looks like this morning.

The turbines that were in the Warlock when I got it were Lycombing T53s. I have never run a G.E. T58 which is why I am working on Rik to come and help me get it going. I would hate to screw it up. He is very up on them as two of them powered Howard's 40 Skater.

Gary - If I get Rik here maybe I can get you here as well so ya'll can put on the gloves.

LT
Old 10-02-2011, 06:13 PM
Registered

Dennis, sorry I missed your post. We just go back from a week in the Keys to bust the Sonic's cherry.
Ramp, dock, store, gas, tiki bar, pool all on site and a 1/2 hr day trip to Key West.
It sucked and most likely you would have hated it

Old 10-15-2011, 01:19 PM
Registered

Received 277 Likes on 96 Posts

Now that the SCX4 is finally made public by IMCO I am even more curious about my original question.

I have seen the original SCX last aprox 400-500 hours before needing gears, behind 850hp on a 36 apache.

Will the new SCX4 last as long since its a surfacing drive?
Old 10-15-2011, 01:49 PM
Registered

Maybe easier on uppers, harder on lowers and shafts,,if you lift it up higher?
Old 10-17-2011, 09:34 PM
Registered

Received 277 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Adams
Maybe easier on uppers, harder on lowers and shafts,,if you lift it up higher?
Well the easiest way to find out...

You buy 2 for your fountain. Kristy and I will ride with you at Boyne Thunder and see if we like them. If they run good enough to keep up with your saber (with me behind the wheel of the saber) then maybe I will get a pair for the Baja!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.