Raising X dimension >

Raising X dimension

Notices

Raising X dimension

Old 11-04-2011, 10:44 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Just put the jig on it and its at 15 and maybe a quarter, she's pretty deep (6 3/4 deep).

Anyone see the article in SportBoat this month on X dim? Great read, says for a single the optimum is for the prop to be between 4 and 5 3/4 inches below the bottom which puts the X dim at 17 3/4 and 16 respectively. When i re did my Scarab last year i put my mine at 17 3/4 and its a whole different boat. Planes better trims better rides better, mostly because now i can run a better prop.

Originally Posted by Griff
You should be able to set it up with the propshaft about 5" below the bottom and still get decent bow lift.
I wouldn't go any higher than that though. You need it deep enough to carry the bow.
I agree, still a good all around performance X dim without getting nuts.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 11-04-2011 at 10:57 AM.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:58 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Baja
It is set up for a mirage prop, thats what it came with from the factory. I think you might be on to something. Did you experience any negative effects like longer planing time, or decreased handling. Thats something im really not willing to lose
I didn't get "radical" with my X Dimension so, no, I didn't have any negative effects at all.

Time to plane stayed exactly the same. The boat required less trim to get the same amount of lift. The boat was better balanced and I picked up a few mph in cruise speed and 5-6 mph on top end. If you raise the X up to where you can start running a bravo 1 (4 blade), I think your cruise speed will go up a great deal over the Mirage.

I think Dave has you on the right path, I'd just go with what he suggests!
Old 11-04-2011, 11:24 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by glassdave
Just put the jig on it and its at 15 and maybe a quarter, she's pretty deep (6 3/4 deep).

Anyone see the article in SportBoat this month on X dim? Great read, says for a single the optimum is for the prop to be between 4 and 5 3/4 inches below the bottom which puts the X dim at 17 3/4 and 16 respectively. When i re did my Scarab last year i put my mine at 17 3/4 and its a whole different boat. Planes better trims better rides better, mostly because now i can run a better prop.

I agree, still a good all around performance X dim without getting nuts.
What is the transom angle? I'd say go with 16,7/8".

Last edited by A.O. Razor; 11-04-2011 at 11:27 AM.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:48 PM
Registered

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Bring it up to curent std and call it a day and lose that old three blade maybe put it in the front yard next to the gnome lol they are equally scary and old.
17 5/8
Old 11-04-2011, 02:50 PM
Registered

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Oh ya and a B1 24-26 LAB .....Have fun
Old 11-04-2011, 02:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I needed a new transom and raised mine 2" from 6.5 to 4.5. Planing is different but not that much harder. Slip went way down and I picked up a good 8mph on top. The boat handles much better all around. I used 2" aluminum block to raise the front of the engines an equal amount. If you are doing the transom it would be silly not to raise the driveline in my opinion. You may need to do some hatch mods though. I also had minor issues with the rear gunwale and distributer. Great improvement to the boat for sure.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:28 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by lightning jet
. . . put it in the front yard next to the gnome lol they are equally scary and old. . . .
LMAO
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 11-05-2011, 02:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 47 lightning
if your transom is not notched first thing you need is an extension box then raise your drive as much as you can with shorter lowers which is -3 when you do that you will need a 6 blade hering nothing else will work as good been there done that .bow lift is what you don't want to loose with a non stepped bottom.
6 blade on a bravo 1..lol are you kidding me..that drive will last about 5 minutes..I have a non stepped baja outlaw hull and we raised the x 3 inches, and I have way to much bow lift still with a bravo prop..and no extention box..
Old 11-05-2011, 02:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have been using 6 blade herings on my imco sc drives which are the same internal parts as xr drtves for 4 years now and never had a problem .now i am going to 7 blade herings and raised my x a total of 7 1/2 inches
Old 11-06-2011, 09:39 AM
Registered

my baja 24ol was 5 1/2'' with the 2'' shortie handled better, than stock height was faster too. now the saber was the same think better at 5 1/2''. but I bought it unrigged with power or drive. I started out at 17 1/2'' = 3'' with the konrad ace xfactor drive and 8'' box. well it porpoised out of control, had to run 280 tabs down trimed in with a 5 blade. but it got on plane easy. today in 40degree temps we are trying 380 tabs, max 5 blade, px5, 1'' spacer = 4'', then a longer lower = 4 3/4'' driveshaft height. I am starting to think its balance, cause it gets on plane. these boats will propoise a little with no tab. so if I can get there ,then bring it up to 60,70,80, or wide open to see the slip #s. brett will lab the best prop. I hope I don't need a p5, transom lifting prop. can't find one to borrow. and its getten cold. already had to put the pink stuff in once. any ideas

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.