Notices

Arneson Props?

Old 11-13-2011, 04:02 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arneson Props?

Looking at picking up a 26 foot boat that had big block power and has a single Arneson drive on it. boat has no power. So I do not know if the prop on it will work after I drop in my power. So I have a few questions...

Where do you get props for an arneson?
Ballpark cost?
Old 11-13-2011, 05:28 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DjMikeyC
Looking at picking up a 26 foot boat that had big block power and has a single Arneson drive on it. boat has no power. So I do not know if the prop on it will work after I drop in my power. So I have a few questions...

Where do you get props for an arneson?
Ballpark cost?
What ASD is on it and what is the drive ratio? The #6 style props cost 5000-7000 a piece. You can buy tham from Bblades, Hering, Mercury Racing, Rolla, DAH propellers ect. Then of course there's used props. What prop is on it now, and how much power are you looking to add? What power was in it before? Speed before vs. now? Best thing you can do is to put in the power and then run it to get a baseline number.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:40 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I believe it is a 1721 drive unit, it was rigged with it new in 1985, it was not a conversion. Don't know the drive ratio, HP that it had, or the prop on it now. I can find out though. Damn those are expensive props, doubt I would want it if they cost that much. Now I know why no one except race boats are running arnesons.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:43 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

TO clarify for everyone reading this. ARNESON DRIVES are not the only surface drive in the world that require stronger, faster, more effecient props, that in turn cost more.

Mercury NXT, #6, M8, Ilmore Indy, Imco SCX-4, BPM, etc.

Lots of people run arnesons except race boats.

Almost EVERY NEW boat that runs 90+mph/700+ hp uses similiar props on SURFACE DRIVES.

Arneson are not as popular as the mercury versions of surface drives, but that has more to do with Mercurys monopoly, and package deals they offer.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:25 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chances are that it takes a standard 19 spline short hub (4") prop that was used on Arneson, Mercruiser speedmaster 2, 3 ,4, Kaama, Sternpowr, and can be found used for 1200 for a pair, you may need to get a pair to get the pitch you want though because many applications were twins.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:26 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Ok, so I am learning the props will be pricey... not to much of a big deal if the setup will run nice. My biggest issue might be trying to find the right prop as props to test with will be hard to come by.

How do you guys think this setup will be on a 26 Corsa? It was factory rigged with the Arneson and a 454 back in 1985. I have heard single Arneson's on V hulls may not be the best setup. The boat currently has no power so I cannot test drive it. Anyone think I will have anything to worry about?
Old 11-13-2011, 10:31 PM
Registered

Default fixx

yep speedmaster props will fit it,,i believe #3mand 4 and 5,#6 props will need a adaptor which arneson sells..

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...All-Categories
Old 11-13-2011, 10:38 PM
Registered

Contact Rik here on OSO. He's with Arneson and can answer your questions. There have been plenty of single ASD's on vees that worked great. If the setup works, it'll be better than any B1 setup ever will. If you are running big power, then you will most likely spend a lot of money replacing B1 parts, so looking into an Arneson boat is not a bad thing. Simpel reason why you don't see them more often, is because of the Mercury monoply, force of habbit and to a certain extent the price. But as Offshore Ex stated, there are plenty of pleasure boats running surface drives, it's not only for racers.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by DjMikeyC
Ok, so I am learning the props will be pricey... not to much of a big deal if the setup will run nice. My biggest issue might be trying to find the right prop as props to test with will be hard to come by.

How do you guys think this setup will be on a 26 Corsa? It was factory rigged with the Arneson and a 454 back in 1985. I have heard single Arneson's on V hulls may not be the best setup. The boat currently has no power so I cannot test drive it. Anyone think I will have anything to worry about?
I had a 26 Corsa rigged with a SSMIII. Mine would run in the mid-high 70's with a 600 hp 540. One thing that would concern me with the Arneson is getting enough bow lift on that boat to go any faster. I had a smallish diameter prop, but I would have to get it trimmed up as high as I could to wring it out, and it still felt llike I needed more bow lift. I think you could work it out with a high-rake prop, and maybe a rocker plate, if Arneson still has those.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:52 PM
Registered

Default fixx

here is a arneson on a 18 donzi with a procharged 440 cid small block..also has rockertabs on it..time in the video 2:15,,its sick fast for a 18..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kg3zoGcrFM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.