Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Boats:
    Mannerfelt B28

DPX single prop?

Hi all,

Has anyone ever converted a Volvo DPX to single prop? Would another Volvo lower fit, or has anyone made a custom shaft?

I wonder what power a DPX would handle with just one prop given that it takes quite a bit even with big dual props?

James

Registered
    My Boats:
    42' Sundancer from 2004 formerly known as Big azz cruiser from 2004. Still looking for the right new 38-42 ft. v-bottom!
    Why not just run the SX? It will handle the same power more or less. When you go single prop, you can usually spin more pitch and put more load on the drive.

My Boats:
    Mannerfelt B28
    Because I've been offered a NOS DPX at too good a price to refuse.

If that's the case, will a SX gearbox fit a DPX upper? What exactly are the difference between the DPX and SX other than the number of props?

My Revenger doesn't need the stability of twin props or the holeshot, I'm just after speed and helping the drive to live as long as possible. I'm well aware a single bravo style prop would strain in much less when constantly leaving the water, as the boat will be raced.

James

My Boats:
    1999 Pantera 24 Sport
    Are we talking DPX or DPS? Going off memory the DPS shares the same upper as the SX but the DPX was Volvo's racing drives that bolted up to their 500 and 600hp engines built by Innovation marine. The DPX had their own transom assy with built in external steering and they were also rated for higher hp. I can't say for sure but I don't think the DPX drives shared the same housings as the DPS and SX, but I could be wrong.

My Boats:
    Mannerfelt B28
    It's a DPX im running, the race drive. I'd be interested to know if the SX lower will bolt up, it'd seem volvo do a drive spacer which can be used on DPX/R/S & SX drives so I live in hope...

James

Registered
    My Boats:
    77 donzi x18 92 formula 336 sr1

fixx

why would you want to run a sx lower,,once you see how the dpx handles you wont want a single propeller and yes they can reach 85 mph in a single engine application..if its a dpx-r its rated for 600+ ponys..

My Boats:
    1999 Pantera 24 Sport
    I agree I can't see any gain going to an SX lower.

My Boats:
    Mannerfelt B28
    It's the same DPX as fitted to the batboats, so I know it'll handle 600+... The idea wasn't originally to fit an SX lower, it's just kinda slipped to that. Originally I was looking at converting the DPX lower to single prop.
    Whilst the DPX is rated for 600, I'm running 600 and I'll be racing, so I figured that it'd be good to go to a single prop to ease the strain on the drive a bit. The boat runs fine with a single prop, I don't need the stability of duo-prop.

James

My Boats:
    1999 Pantera 24 Sport
    If anything I think going to a single prop for racing will put more strain on the drive as you will no be loading/unloading one propshaft instead of two. But I could be wrong. I do know the DPX has a higher hp rating than both the DPS and SX.

The DPX is a bad-azz drive and I would just run it. Just my point-o-two. Only problems I ever heard with that drive is when people raised the X so high it became a surface piercing drive.

My Boats:
    2000 33 Scarab AVS
    Given that you are racing, I would keep the DPX as is and take advantage of the bite and accelaration that the drive has to offer. Corner tighter and pull harder out of the turns might equal winning races???????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast