Notices

DPX single prop?

Old 11-26-2011, 11:28 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DPX single prop?

Hi all,

Has anyone ever converted a Volvo DPX to single prop? Would another Volvo lower fit, or has anyone made a custom shaft?

I wonder what power a DPX would handle with just one prop given that it takes quite a bit even with big dual props?

James
Old 11-26-2011, 06:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not just run the SX? It will handle the same power more or less. When you go single prop, you can usually spin more pitch and put more load on the drive.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:50 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Because I've been offered a NOS DPX at too good a price to refuse.

If that's the case, will a SX gearbox fit a DPX upper? What exactly are the difference between the DPX and SX other than the number of props?

My Revenger doesn't need the stability of twin props or the holeshot, I'm just after speed and helping the drive to live as long as possible. I'm well aware a single bravo style prop would strain in much less when constantly leaving the water, as the boat will be raced.

James
Old 11-29-2011, 05:48 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Are we talking DPX or DPS? Going off memory the DPS shares the same upper as the SX but the DPX was Volvo's racing drives that bolted up to their 500 and 600hp engines built by Innovation marine. The DPX had their own transom assy with built in external steering and they were also rated for higher hp. I can't say for sure but I don't think the DPX drives shared the same housings as the DPS and SX, but I could be wrong.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:12 PM
Registered
Gold Member

It's a DPX im running, the race drive. I'd be interested to know if the SX lower will bolt up, it'd seem volvo do a drive spacer which can be used on DPX/R/S & SX drives so I live in hope...

James
Old 11-30-2011, 05:40 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

why would you want to run a sx lower,,once you see how the dpx handles you wont want a single propeller and yes they can reach 85 mph in a single engine application..if its a dpx-r its rated for 600+ ponys..
Old 11-30-2011, 10:08 PM
Registered

I agree I can't see any gain going to an SX lower.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:45 AM
Registered
Gold Member

It's the same DPX as fitted to the batboats, so I know it'll handle 600+... The idea wasn't originally to fit an SX lower, it's just kinda slipped to that. Originally I was looking at converting the DPX lower to single prop.
Whilst the DPX is rated for 600, I'm running 600 and I'll be racing, so I figured that it'd be good to go to a single prop to ease the strain on the drive a bit. The boat runs fine with a single prop, I don't need the stability of duo-prop.

James
Old 12-01-2011, 10:33 AM
Registered

If anything I think going to a single prop for racing will put more strain on the drive as you will no be loading/unloading one propshaft instead of two. But I could be wrong. I do know the DPX has a higher hp rating than both the DPS and SX.

The DPX is a bad-azz drive and I would just run it. Just my point-o-two. Only problems I ever heard with that drive is when people raised the X so high it became a surface piercing drive.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:58 PM
Registered

Received 195 Likes on 102 Posts

Given that you are racing, I would keep the DPX as is and take advantage of the bite and accelaration that the drive has to offer. Corner tighter and pull harder out of the turns might equal winning races???????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.