prop recommendation >

prop recommendation

Notices

prop recommendation

Old 12-15-2011, 06:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default prop recommendation

I have an 89 Wellcraft Eclipse 216 bowrider with an Alpha I drive, and a Mercruiser V8 engine (not the 5.0ltr) Not sure if this makes a difference but i will be converting to Rex Marine Captains call exhaust system over the winter. I use the boat for tubing, and water skiing with the family and friends and typically will have 4-8 people aboard. The boat is used in lakes most of the time.

The last prop on it was a three blade aluminum 19pitch cheapo aluminum prop (rounded tips) dubbed by my friends as a "tug boat prop". Turning that prop I was at 4600rmp with just me aboard and light on fuel, and trimmed out as best I could This pushed me along at a wholloping 53mph across a smooth lake.

With that said what diameter and pitch prop would you recommend to gain a little more performance... if any? I am thinking a four blade would grab more water so to speak and possibly improve my holeshot thus popping skiers out of the water a little faster so I am leaning towards that? Maybe I should just stay with what I have? Obviously though I am new to boating and am open to suggestions.... and no, a different boat/engine is not an option.

Last edited by mysweetone; 12-15-2011 at 07:04 AM.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:10 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

may want to post this in the prop section for bblades to comment on
Old 12-15-2011, 07:34 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vensura 19" or LaserII 19". You could opt for a LaserII 21" as high speed prop and then have a High5 17" for tubing, or just use your current alu prop for tubing. If looking for all around performance, go with the Vensura 4 blade. If only using one prop, don't move up in pitch, since you won't get the same blade flex with the SS props as you did with the alu prop. The Revolution4, Mirage+ and Bravo1 are big props, and will be more diameter and blade area than your boat need, and the SBC will like.

Last edited by A.O. Razor; 12-15-2011 at 07:44 AM.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:21 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
may want to post this in the prop section for bblades to comment on
I thought of that but I am not a "paid" member so it was not an option.

1. What is the difference in the Vensura 19" and LaserII 19"?

I am interested in an all around good prop. As much as I 'd
like to be rocket out on the water the wife and kiddies
don't enjoy it much as being only 21 feet it doesn't take a whole lot for things to get bouncy!

2. Is their a aluminum four blade prop on the market that
willgive me similar performance ast the Vensura 19" you
mentioned if I move up in pitch to compensate for blade
flex? and if so what would you suggest?

3. Lastly.. what is SBC?

Sorry to be such a noobie on this whole thing... boats are new to me. I was this way with sowmobiles 10 years ago and now I can pretty much provide advice on anything. hopefully someday I will be able to do that in the boating world too.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mysweetone
I thought of that but I am not a "paid" member so it was not an option.

1. What is the difference in the Vensura 19" and LaserII 19"?

I am interested in an all around good prop. As much as I 'd
like to be rocket out on the water the wife and kiddies
don't enjoy it much as being only 21 feet it doesn't take a whole lot for things to get bouncy!

2. Is their a aluminum four blade prop on the market that
willgive me similar performance ast the Vensura 19" you
mentioned if I move up in pitch to compensate for blade
flex? and if so what would you suggest?

3. Lastly.. what is SBC?

Sorry to be such a noobie on this whole thing... boats are new to me. I was this way with sowmobiles 10 years ago and now I can pretty much provide advice on anything. hopefully someday I will be able to do that in the boating world too.
No problem, we all have to learn.

The Vensura and LaserII are stainless steel props. The Vensura is a 4 blade and the LaserII is a 3 blade. There is no aluminium prop that will give you the performance of an stainless prop, so forget about that. The reason why I say you should not move up in pitch is, and I'll try to explain it simple.
The alu prop have thicker blades than the SS prop, therefore the water resistance from the SS prop is less, and the SS prop will in theory spin faster. BUT, when you put a load on the slu prop, the blades will flex much more than the SS props will, and therefore bring the rpms up, and act like a lower pitch prop. All in all, the 19" LaserII and the 19" alu prop, will spin more or less the same rpm, but the SS prop will use the energy to propel the boat forward, and not flexing the blades. In many cases, the LaserII will actually be both faster and spin a little bit more rpms than the alu prop, and therefore it is sometimes possible to move up in pitch when going to an SS prop. This will give you a good top speed, but will hurt your accelleration, and that you do not need when pulling stuff and playing on the water. Here is where the 4 blade Vensura comes into play. A 19" 4 blade Vensura, will spin slower than a 19" 3 blade LaserII because of the added load and drag of the extra blade. This is also why 3 blades are commonly faster than 4 blades. The 4 blade will give you much better acceleraiton and cruise efficiency than the 3 blade prop, and the Vensura has in several cases shown to be as fast as the LaserII of the same pitch, at a little lower rpms. But because of the lower rpms of the Vensura 19" vs. the LaserII 19" is also why you can't use a 21" Vensura. All in all, the Vensura is a fast prop with good midrange punch and hole shot, that is what makes it such a great prop imo. I hope this makes some sense to you.

One way to devide it up could be as follows.

21" LaserII. Fastest, but at low rpms and reduced hole shot and pulling power. Therefore a good top end prop, but the proor hole shot, weakish pulling power and low planning speed, not the best all round prop for a family boat.
19" LaserII. Not as fast as the 21" LaserII, but with better hole shot and wot speed at high rpms. A decent allround prop, but it does not have a very low planning speed, as with the 21" LaserII.
19" Vensura. Almost as fast as the LaserII 19" but with much better hole shot, lower planning speed and good midrange efficiency. As said before, it is sometimes as fast or faster than the equivillant pitch LaserII, so a really sweet prop.

I'd suggest you contact your local merc prop shop, and see what they have and maybe will let you try. The best thing is, if you can get to try the props first and see what works best for you. www.bblades.com has a test program you could use. Then you could get a LaserII and a Vensura to try for a 40-50$ deposit each. The deposit will be included in the price of the prop you choose, and you will only pay deposit for the prop you don't buy.

Oh, and SBC is Small Block Chevy.

Last edited by A.O. Razor; 12-15-2011 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:39 PM
Registered

WOW!!!! Very impressive and helpful. Trying out the props is not really going to be an option... through reading what you wrote the 19" Vensura seems to be the prop of choice. Thanks!
Old 12-16-2011, 07:02 PM
Registered

Anyone else have any other options. That u think are.worth me considering?
Old 12-28-2011, 12:24 PM
Registered

Well I went shopping today and picked up a Mercury Elite Series Trophy plus 14p SS 4 blade prop.... with my limited knowledge I deducted that it was pretty much the same as what was recommended earlier. I got it off Craigslist.... guy was asking $250.... I left with for $200- S tell me... did I make a mistake based on my initial post describing my boat, engine, and drive? Lets hear it guys.....
Old 12-28-2011, 12:59 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

From what I know that is more for bass boats and big Jon boats running outboards. Also that's way to little of pitch. You probably need a 19P. 4600rpm is where you should be. Assume you have a 350 260hp.

http://www.mercurymarine.com/propell...e/trophy-plus/
Old 12-28-2011, 01:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by picklenjim
From what I know that is more for bass boats and big Jon boats running outboards. Also that's way to little of pitch. You probably need a 19P. 4600rpm is where you should be. Assume you have a 350 260hp.

http://www.mercurymarine.com/propell...e/trophy-plus/
oops.. typin on a phone can be tricky... (big fingers/little buttons!!!!) Shoulda read, 19p NOT 14!

oh, also after reading my original post again the pitch I posted there was wrong as well!!! I was spinning a 17 pitch aluminum 3 blade last season, not a 19p

Last edited by mysweetone; 12-28-2011 at 01:45 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.