Dry Sumping Volvo DPR'S >

Dry Sumping Volvo DPR'S

Notices

Dry Sumping Volvo DPR'S

Old 08-01-2012, 09:50 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi All,
Just finished increasing the pitch and cupping of the propellors, have also considerably reduced the blade area on the front props, hopefully they will now absorb the extra power and give the boat more speed.

Peter
Attached Thumbnails Dry Sumping Volvo DPR'S-058.jpg   Dry Sumping Volvo DPR'S-061.jpg   Dry Sumping Volvo DPR'S-062.jpg  

Dry Sumping Volvo DPR'S-063.jpg   Dry Sumping Volvo DPR'S-064.jpg   Dry Sumping Volvo DPR'S-066.jpg  

Dry Sumping Volvo DPR'S-067.jpg   Dry Sumping Volvo DPR'S-070.jpg   Dry Sumping Volvo DPR'S-072.jpg  

Dry Sumping Volvo DPR'S-073.jpg  
Old 08-01-2012, 11:49 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Peter,

Will you be at the Cowes race?

Jeff
Old 08-01-2012, 01:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by peterunwin
I think 400HP is a little on the ambitious side bearing in mind your high ambient water temperatures so i would say 380HP is going to be top whack without changing the charge coolers. The 435 charge cooler will fit with some pipe work modifications and a new inlet manifold, the parts in England are not too expensive. You can also pick up a few horse power by removing the rubber bellows between the transom shield and the drive leg, not as good as through transom exhausts but it certainly helps. We can get your ECU'S remapped for you although i know we are a very long way away....
We are still contemplating coming out to fantasy fest and the world powerboat championships, we are also thinking of buying a boat to keep in Florida while we look for a house we just can't decide where we want to live there are just so many nice places...

All The Best
Peter
peter,

thanks for the reply. let me help you out with were you want to be in florida , it's easy , Naples !

were on the gulf so the water is smooth and warm , being this far south the winters here are very mild , usually in the 70's and some days 80's. there are alot of Brits that live here half the year as well.

on the boating side if i could get the contact info for who you used on the ecu reprogram i'd appreciate it.

i started looking for used 435 charge coolers but they are hard to find here and new ones are real expensive. i also checked ebay/uk but had no luck. if you here of any available please let me know.

is there any problems with water reversion into the engines when they are off , if you remove the exhaust bellows ?

seems like a good way to test how loud it well be before commiting to full transom exhaust. my Carolyn doesn't want the exhaust to be too loud. ( would also think it would help lower drive temps with the exhaust not going thru them).

thanks again for your help , i'll make sure to return the favor when your in florida.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:23 AM
Registered

Peter just read this thread looks like it will be interesting to see how all your mod's will work on the completed project. Please keep posting!
Old 08-03-2012, 01:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by hallj
Peter,

Will you be at the Cowes race?

Jeff
Hi Jeff,
We never miss it.. unfortunately we have no boat this year so we will be land based spectators, are you coming over? if so maybe we could meet up for a beer?

Peter & Carolyn
Old 08-07-2012, 12:10 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by peterunwin
Hi Jeff,
We never miss it.. unfortunately we have no boat this year so we will be land based spectators, are you coming over? if so maybe we could meet up for a beer?

Peter & Carolyn
I'll be there Pete. I'll be hanging out with the Toll family.
Christian is driving the Dry Martini Cig and his Uncle Tony is running his Apache.
Need any Moog valves for your steering?
I may have something knocking about.

Jeff
Old 09-05-2012, 10:12 AM
Registered

How is the upgrade coming along Peter?

Originally Posted by whatta life
peter,

is there any problems with water reversion into the engines when they are off , if you remove the exhaust bellows ?

seems like a good way to test how loud it well be before commiting to full transom exhaust. my Carolyn doesn't want the exhaust to be too loud. ( would also think it would help lower drive temps with the exhaust not going thru them).
Wouldn't mind also to know about the effect of the removed exhaust bellows.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:14 PM
Registered

i wanted to have the volvo updates done on all my computers before i made any changes , . had them done and 2 weeks later blew an engine , dont know why . no over heating or oil pressure issues , but its bad . hopefully taking it out next week for exam. so never got to try removing the exhaust bellows . i've got a lead on a pair of d6/435's but dont know what we would use for compters since volvo never had a 435/ outdrive config. none of the shops so far want or know how to do it. (sorry peter i feel like i highjacked your thread a little)
Old 09-09-2012, 04:20 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by whatta life
i wanted to have the volvo updates done on all my computers before i made any changes , . had them done and 2 weeks later blew an engine , dont know why . no over heating or oil pressure issues , but its bad . hopefully taking it out next week for exam. so never got to try removing the exhaust bellows . i've got a lead on a pair of d6/435's but dont know what we would use for compters since volvo never had a 435/ outdrive config. none of the shops so far want or know how to do it. (sorry peter i feel like i highjacked your thread a little)
Hi,
sorry to hear about your engine problems as previously stated the cooling systems on the 350 is quite borderline when you are extracting more power, also Volvo gages are damped to stop fluctuations but this also stops you from seeing very rapid increases in temperature. I have also found that if you have a chlorofier for your hot water system the extra resistance slows the flow down inside the cylinder block making the cooling system even more borderline. Removing the exhaust bellows reduces the exhaust back pressure freeing up a few horsepower and reducing the boost pressure required for a given horsepower which in turn lowers the temperatures, the downside is you will get a very sooty drive and transom. Through transom exhausts with longish tailpipes work much better reducing temperatures and increasing power to a greater extent. As far as the noise goes at idle you get a rumble with turbo whine as you shift in and out of gear the pitch goes up and down. as you increase the rpm the turbos along with water injection act as a silencer they sound really nice (for a diesel) and never anti-social.

peter
Old 09-14-2012, 02:24 PM
Registered

Peter,

thanks for the info. how is the install of your 435's going ? are you going to use your 350 wiring harnesses and computers to run the 435's ? what about the additional rear spacing the 435's need to clear , are you going to make them or buy the volvo parts for the d6-400 to make them fit.

i think there are a lot of people here watching you do these upgrades. no one else is doing this and were all curious . depending on how difficult the swap is i may do it myself. i've got access to 2 used 435's but not the knowledge to be the pioneer on this type of swap.

PLEASE keep posting pictures and keeping us all updated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.