Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Has anybody broke outer transom plate? >

Has anybody broke outer transom plate?

Notices

Has anybody broke outer transom plate?

Old 01-21-2012, 06:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me it would strength and low cost.Even if you had to increase weight by 20 to 30 %.It still wouldnt be enough to matter in my eyes.The service would be nice but would not determind if I buy it our not.I would just want something that will not break no matter finish or material.just my 2cents.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:40 PM
Registered

Very interesting. I really appreciate your input. What do you think the price point should be for a bullet proof gimbal assembly.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:25 PM
Registered

I would like something closer to imco pricing.To be honest i love you products but way out of my price range.I got to admit im probably the minority because i dont make the money most people do in this website. Without getting to personal i make upper middle class money and own a small 22ft but with 1200-1300hp turbo efi engine.The money was the reason going with imco gimbal ring and scx drive.I know im not your target clientele but maybe you could come up with a sportsman series for people like me and pro series for the wealthy guys
Old 01-21-2012, 08:01 PM
Registered

1200 to 1300 hp on a 22 ft boat, now that must be exciting. Thanks for your help.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:19 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

I would think that the weight reduction of course would be nice but low on my priority list.
I think the ability to add steering wings would be mandatory for wide acceptance.
Access for the swivel pin nut from the outside with a plate would be easy and probably a deal maker for you.
A slick way to mount a potentiometer for the new wireless trim guages would be nice.
Corrosion is a huge problem with transoms, gimbals, if that could be improved, would be a plus.
The trim lines should connect to male fittings on the outside of the transom and there should be a passage to the inner part of transom where there would be a male fitting that the line would go to the trim pump. Steering could be the same way.
Got to be a better way than the the fiber bushings.
Of course, the swivel pin stainless.
Bigger water intake passage for those who run through the transom.
I know cost for the redesign would be big, but I agree that Imco's price point would be close to where you would need to be to have wide appeal.
A way to make a transom adjustable(jack plate) would change the world, but it's beyond my imagination as to how you'd do it. Do this and you can charge big bucks.......
I'm glad your thinking about it, good luck

Last edited by SkiDoc; 01-22-2012 at 06:33 AM.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:24 AM
Registered

The adjustable X dimension design is already finished. 90% of what you recommended is there, but you make a few good points. When you say wings what exactly do you mean, if the assembly has integrated steering do you still need the wings. In the design we have just over 2.25 inches of X dimension adjustability. Keep em coming, as soon we will go into production and it much more difficult to change at that point.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:25 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Won't need "wings" with integrated steering. But might be a cost savings for boats already rigged with such steering systems. Sounds great, I look forward to having the opportunity to use that equipment. Do you know about when they will come to market?
Old 01-26-2012, 01:45 AM
Registered

No talk of the HP gimbal helmet failure yet on this thread so I thought I'd chime in.

While trying to burn the last of my gas right before pulling my boat last Oct, I broke my port drive helmet/bellhousing right at the hidge pins. I was pulling around 5000rpm(85ish) and boom.. It didnt disrupt the boats attitude, thankfully.

Im not sure if the XR input yoke broke first, it showed signs of maybe being cracked, or the dropping of drive alignment caused the u-joint assm to blow up?? All I know is I have some carnage.

Planning on new IMCO rings and helments for 2012.

Are the rings breaking before the helmets? the helmets seem a weaker link then the rings?

LE
Old 01-26-2012, 09:13 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LAKE EFFECT

Are the rings breaking before the helmets? the helmets seem a weaker link then the rings?

LE
x2 I would think the helmet would be the first to go, thats where the weight and all the power is directly bolted to
Old 01-26-2012, 10:16 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

If interested i have a complete imco unit
Attached Thumbnails Has anybody broke outer transom plate?-imco3.bmp  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.