Mercruiser instruction >

Mercruiser instruction

Notices

Mercruiser instruction

Old 03-08-2017, 03:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mercruiser instruction

Where can a guy learn to rebuild Bravo drives short of being sponsored by a dealer? I have the tools and have an idea, but I want to learn from a pro if possible. Mistakes are expensive and it usually takes me at least twice to get it right... I am already plenty busy, so going through the full blown Merc class might not be possible and might be more than I need. I just want to be able to tear down, rebuild, and upgrade my pile of Bravo 2xes. Willing to travel and pay. Thanks
Old 03-08-2017, 03:37 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I/O E05 course Bob is a very good instructor and an retired OEM instructor as well. This takes place every year but basically you have to be a marine tech or whatever in the marine biz of some sort - entry level or a start up works as well.

2016 Bob did classes for Bravo and Alpha tear down and rebuilds. They hire me to teach as well but have not taught any outdrive related classes. These are not free classes - you get OEM related material and a lot of the classes are hands on to. Techs all over the USA and some from other countries come in as well. One marine tech last year came all the way from Australia and he was 70 year old still working on boats and has been in the business for 50 years.

http://mctina.org/uploaded_files/pdf...7_Brochure.pdf
Old 03-10-2017, 04:16 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

No expert but I taught my self, and the main reason is always, either finding a good tech is to far away, or getting something back and find out it wasn't done right, and/or I could have done better my self. Get the manuals and tools then go to work. Check with this and other forums, there are many folks willing to help.

It would not surprise me at al of finding most the old timers that are some of the best in their fields, and are not Merc dealers were self taught.

Like many of the things I've done made mistakes, but that is learning curve and/or not researching well enough. Getting ready to go on my third season on my B3 rebuild
Old 03-10-2017, 06:03 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Youtube
Old 03-10-2017, 07:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by offshorefisher
Where can a guy learn to rebuild Bravo drives short of being sponsored by a dealer? I have the tools and have an idea, but I want to learn from a pro if possible. Mistakes are expensive and it usually takes me at least twice to get it right... I am already plenty busy, so going through the full blown Merc class might not be possible and might be more than I need. I just want to be able to tear down, rebuild, and upgrade my pile of Bravo 2xes. Willing to travel and pay. Thanks
If you live near Lake George NY stop by and I would be glad to show you how to do a Bravo. If you get yours shimmed right in two try's your doing good. It some times take me more than that to get it on the money. After a few years of doing them " doing the math" doesn't always work. i.e. You need to move something .002 adding or removing.002 doesn't always get you there. OK back in 1973 I attended GM training center and got the best pice of information from an instructor that I have ever gotten. While attending school after a class in transmission rebuilding I was doing a practical. While doing a tranny I got stumped and asked the instructor how to get a particular part together. He handed me the manual and said the answer is in here and walked out of the class to get a cup of coffee. Well he was right it was right there in the manual.. so all I'm saying is get a manual for the drive your doing and read through the section you are going to rebuild serveral times, than lay it on the bench next to you and follow it step by step and you'll have no problems. After several drives you'll pick up some short cuts all by your self. Here's a tip that can save a lot of time. If drive is not blown while taking it apart check all the specs. Check pinion height and back lash and bearing preloads. Wright everything down. So you can just add or subtract shims to get into spec. When it goes back together. Merc Manuals are very easy to follow just make sure you have the correct one for your drive. There are several supplements for Bravo drives. Far as going to Merc U, you first have to take online courses and pass them as a prerequisite before even getting in to a class.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:56 AM
BUP
Banned

Marine Max is opening up their own training schools. Possible for anyone to get a part time job or full time and learn this OEM stuff thru their offers.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:59 AM
BUP
Banned

Originally Posted by Clustergear
If you live near Lake George NY stop by and I would be glad to show you how to do a Bravo. If you get yours shimmed right in two try's your doing good. It some times take me more than that to get it on the money. After a few years of doing them " doing the math" doesn't always work. i.e. You need to move something .002 adding or removing.002 doesn't always get you there. OK back in 1973 I attended GM training center and got the best pice of information from an instructor that I have ever gotten. While attending school after a class in transmission rebuilding I was doing a practical. While doing a tranny I got stumped and asked the instructor how to get a particular part together. He handed me the manual and said the answer is in here and walked out of the class to get a cup of coffee. Well he was right it was right there in the manual.. so all I'm saying is get a manual for the drive your doing and read through the section you are going to rebuild serveral times, than lay it on the bench next to you and follow it step by step and you'll have no problems. After several drives you'll pick up some short cuts all by your self. Here's a tip that can save a lot of time. If drive is not blown while taking it apart check all the specs. Check pinion height and back lash and bearing preloads. Wright everything down. So you can just add or subtract shims to get into spec. When it goes back together. Merc Manuals are very easy to follow just make sure you have the correct one for your drive. There are several supplements for Bravo drives. Far as going to Merc U, you first have to take online courses and pass them as a prerequisite before even getting in to a class.
That is correct as you have to go thru the ground up formats and pass online tests before you can even attend most of the OEM training schools in person.

This is a good post here plus his time to post very good advice and the help. Nice job and jester here.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:01 AM
Registered

Thanks for the responses and advice. I'm a ways from New York, but a trip next year isn't out of the question. I have the manuals, will give it a go and let you know how it turns out.