Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
what drive please???? >

what drive please????

Notices

what drive please????

Old 02-04-2012, 07:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks guys, I'm gonna reinforced where the motor seats, the boat did with the alpha drive, what about the coupler??? use the same or not???
Old 02-04-2012, 07:23 PM
Registered

Use a bravo 1 coupler. The full circle one not the 3 star one. As far as reinforcing not sure what your planing just make sure you keep the alignment good.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:22 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

this boat will be very dangerous if you put that much power in it. it is a 22 cuddy designed to top out at 50 and cruise at 35 to 40. go get some oval or peanut port heads and a standard marine cam. you will not be running that engine in that boat at the rpm's it is designed for. use the headers if they fit. otherwise aluminum merc style manifolds through the prop. alum because boat is gonna be tail heavy with that motor. you will still be able to turn a 23 to 25 prop and hit 60. but you are not gonna be wasting fuel driving a race motor at 3500 rpm.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:12 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the power, you will need full hydraulic steering, but to say it's down right undrivably dangerous is making too much of a deal out of it imo. But the full hydraulic steering is without question a must, as an absolute minimum hydraulic assist. Tabs would also be a nice addition if they are not already on.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:23 AM
Registered

thanks guys , the boats has full power steering, Im not planning to go racing with this boat, I just wanted to have a mean sound and balls to back it up, would flaps help?
Old 02-05-2012, 08:35 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Flaps????
Old 02-05-2012, 09:43 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pontiaco
thanks guys , the boats has full power steering, Im not planning to go racing with this boat, I just wanted to have a mean sound and balls to back it up, would flaps help?
Do you by that mean full external hydraulic steering? The stock merc power steering is not going to do it. With that power, you'll be all over the place. And as I said, look into trim tabs, if you don't already have them. Latham, Dana or K-Planes work well.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:54 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

you are not planning on going racing. ok, but that engine is only good for racing. it will be bored to tears at 3600 RPM. and you will be wasting fuel big time with those ports and valve timing set up for 6000 RPM. a stock 330 HP big block will do everything you want in spades in a 22 cuddy. kissimmee fl. are those lakes fresh water? big blocks don't like salt in them. any significant ocean time and you need closed cooling system.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:07 AM
Registered

this motor makes over 500 ft @ 4k, how is that bored? and I didnt say I was concern about fuel milage, the motor will have a closedloop cooling cause I have aluminum heads, thanks!