Notices

XR Parts Question

Old 03-06-2012, 09:21 PM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 252 Posts
Default XR Parts Question

I have this older XR drive that takes the smaller U-joints like the bravo 1. I need an input shaft and joint for it. Does anyone make any HP parts for it or do I just put some bravo 1 parts on it? Going behind a 600hp N/A engine. What do you have laying around that will work? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails XR Parts Question-100_4429.jpg   XR Parts Question-100_4430.jpg  
Old 03-06-2012, 09:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snapmorgan
I have this older XR drive that takes the smaller U-joints like the bravo 1. I need an input shaft and joint for it. Does anyone make any HP parts for it or do I just put some bravo 1 parts on it? Going behind a 600hp N/A engine. What do you have laying around that will work? Thanks
The smaller ones are the hp good ones. Get the newest ones out and you will be fine. The larger u joints had bind issues.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:59 PM
Registered

I assumed the newer ones with the bigger joints would be stronger. Just use a standard B1 input shaft?
Old 03-06-2012, 10:59 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Snap,
If that truely is an XR then the yoke on the input shaft side (into the pinion gear) has a larger diameter than the B1. There used to be yokes that would convert from the small ujoint to the larger input shaft. If you do have XR gears in that upper, then you could go to a newer style input shaft (joints without grease fittings) but you may have to modify a daisy wrench to get it over the joints to tighten the retainer nut.
The easiest solution would be to add a front yoke and standard B1 joint and go boating. They never were a real weak point. I have seen lots of boats with power still running the old small ujoint.
Hope that helps.
Dick
Old 03-07-2012, 12:09 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mr Gadgets
Snap,
If that truely is an XR then the yoke on the input shaft side (into the pinion gear) has a larger diameter than the B1. There used to be yokes that would convert from the small ujoint to the larger input shaft. If you do have XR gears in that upper, then you could go to a newer style input shaft (joints without grease fittings) but you may have to modify a daisy wrench to get it over the joints to tighten the retainer nut.
The easiest solution would be to add a front yoke and standard B1 joint and go boating. They never were a real weak point. I have seen lots of boats with power still running the old small ujoint.
Hope that helps.
Dick
Hey dick,
I thought the new xr/x u joints were back to the small size. Actually I am pretty sure.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:10 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

Are you sure that is an XR? It has the wrong u joint retainer.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:54 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Poker,
There are four different sizes of ujoints.. The newer ones without grease fittings for the XR are smaller than the old XR, but larger than the B1's two sizes.

Marc, if he has a yoke for the XR gear that uses the small ujoint (Imco used to sell them) then it could be XR gears in the B1 case. Not sure I explained it correctly in my first post. I have one of those yokes for a B1/XR conversion. It is hard to tell if that yoke on the drive side is aftermarket or not.

Snap, pull the top cap and take a pic of the gears.. that might help identify what you have. Although if it had XZ gears in it.. could be ...
Either way, you have the small B1 ujoint cross bar.. Just get an input shaft and ujoint and you will be good.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:11 AM
Registered

I pulled the rear cover. it does have strait cut XR gears. Since it is basically a B1 driveshaft setup, can I disregard the Merc bulletin about the gimbal bearing swap and the trim cyl stops?

Guy that i got the drive from thought the U-joint retainer is a billet piece made by Bam possibly. Make any sense?

Anyone ave a B1 input they want to sell? I bought 2 XR's but neither would fit.

Last edited by snapmorgan; 03-07-2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by snapmorgan
I pulled the rear cover. it does have strait cut XR gears. Since it is basically a B1 driveshaft setup, can I disregard the Merc bulletin about the gimbal bearing swap and the trim cyl stops?

Guy that i got the drive from thought the U-joint retainer is a billet piece made by Bam possibly. Make any sense?

Anyone ave a B1 input they want to sell? I bought 2 XR's but neither would fit.
When we spoke yesterday I thought I told you we have all of the yokes in stock. I may even have a used one.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:41 PM
Registered

Don't remember talking about that. i will give you a call. Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.