Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Decision time...Alpha or Bravo coupler? >

Decision time...Alpha or Bravo coupler?

Notices

Decision time...Alpha or Bravo coupler?

Old 03-26-2012, 09:24 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Decision time...Alpha or Bravo coupler?

Decision time...I am right at 400 horse and 435 ft lb with my twin Vortec Small Blocks and I am upgrading the drives to Bravo I's. I am now at the point that I decide weather to go with Bravo Bell Housings and couplers or will new Alpha couplers handle the power with out fear of spinning out? If $ were not a factor I would vote Bravo all the way but since I already have 2: Alpha Bell housings I sure would like to use them.

I have seen Bravo Bell Housings in the Swap Shop for around $100 ea...I haven't priced the Bravo Couplers.

Once you get into one of these projects it seems like every time you turn the page you face another "Well I might as well" situation.

Am I over thinking this or will the Alpha coupler do the job?

The boat weighs 5650 dry and carries 125 gals of fuel and 25 gals of water.

I don't plan to race the boat or do a bunch of Poker Runs.

Looking for guidance here.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:43 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

I've got 2 bravo couplers in good shape I can give you a good deal on, and I believe if you look Eddie ? Had bellhousings for under $100 for 2 I know it was cheap
Old 03-27-2012, 01:05 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sprink58
Decision time...I am right at 400 horse and 435 ft lb with my twin Vortec Small Blocks and I am upgrading the drives to Bravo I's. I am now at the point that I decide weather to go with Bravo Bell Housings and couplers or will new Alpha couplers handle the power with out fear of spinning out? If $ were not a factor I would vote Bravo all the way but since I already have 2: Alpha Bell housings I sure would like to use them.

I have seen Bravo Bell Housings in the Swap Shop for around $100 ea...I haven't priced the Bravo Couplers.

Once you get into one of these projects it seems like every time you turn the page you face another "Well I might as well" situation.

Am I over thinking this or will the Alpha coupler do the job?

The boat weighs 5650 dry and carries 125 gals of fuel and 25 gals of water.

I don't plan to race the boat or do a bunch of Poker Runs.

Looking for guidance here.
Hey sprink text me on this tomorrow I might know where a couple setups are sitting.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Poker~N~Run
Hey sprink text me on this tomorrow I might know where a couple setups are sitting.
Been trying to contact you...what's up...alien abduction? Get back in touch.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:38 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

the one thing i don't like about bravo coupler is it doesn't have a ring to center it in the flywheel like the alpha doughnut. had to sit down with dial indicator and eyeball it get it to under .005 wobble.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
the one thing i don't like about bravo coupler is it doesn't have a ring to center it in the flywheel like the alpha doughnut. had to sit down with dial indicator and eyeball it get it to under .005 wobble.
I guess I'll figure it out just like evey body else does...I have 2: on the way.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:06 PM
Registered

put the three bolts just snug. slide it all directions as far as you can. gives you an eyeball ref for the center. i have a cheapo dial indicator and stand. my first guesstimate turned out pretty true.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:11 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
What Bravo coupler are you talking about????? They should have 6 blots and the bolts have a short shank to center it perfectly.

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/showS...sp?pn=861523A9
Old 04-01-2012, 09:15 AM
Registered

maybe mine is a later alpha. it is a triangle with 3 bolts attaching to pressure plate mounting holes. so that bravo coupler has shoulders on the six bolts? better. i still like the old style with a ring that sits in the crankshaft.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:08 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What Griff said. Imperitive you have the shouldered bolts to center the coupler. Could only find three of mine and the picture of the bolts in the fiche didn't indicate a shoulder, so I had to play musical bolts and pull them in and out to verify I had the coupler centered. I later found the three misisng bolts holding my risers down to my manifolds. Head of the bolt looked like the other bolts in it so didn't realize.

Anyway, the bellhousing for my Gen 2 Alpha was the same for my Bravo, so use that info as you wish.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.