Notices

bravo or alpha

Old 03-29-2012, 01:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bravo or alpha

I recently bought a 23 velocity 454 coupled with a alpha one.I heard after" I dont want to keep this drive "so i'm looking to do the swap need advice and good deal???
Old 03-29-2012, 10:11 PM
Registered

Run the Alpha until it breaks!

Seriously, though, it depends how you drive the boat. If you plan to run hard, strong hole shots, hot rod it around, the Alpha probably won't hold up.

There was a time in the 1980's that Mercruiser put this combination out, but only for a few years until they realized it wasn't the best setup.

You can use the boat as is, with smooth acceleration, not much wake jumping, and "reasonable" abuse. If you're pulling tubes, just don't hammer the throttle like a mad man.

I say run it until it gives you trouble.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:20 PM
Registered

Thanks! well if anyone hears of deals on a good bravo setup it would be a good winter project.Assuming the alpha holds up that long..also is there a coupler to fit bravo to alpha transom assy...or is that bs
Old 03-30-2012, 01:32 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

You need to change the complete transom assembly if swap to a bravo. You also have to add a sea water pump to your engine.

If your Alpha grenades, I would just get an SEI alpha drive with a 3 year warranty.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:44 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

there is a way to butcher an alpha gimball ring and install a bravo helmet in it. it weakens the already weak ring. a used bravo transom assy is too cheap now to go that route. that velocity is a light boat. alpha may hold up well. bravo set up adds weight to very rear of boat.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:46 AM
Registered

I have 2 bravo drives with complete transom assemblies, Halo MAX drive showers, steering and trim cylinders, 2 sets of props and tie bar that I just had taken off my boat. I am getting an Arneson Conversion and I have no use for the drives anymore. I know someone at the shop is interested in buying one of the drives, but they have not bought it yet. I would like to sell the whole package instead of one drive at a time. I am waiting to see if one of my drives get sold. If not, I am going to list the whole package for sale on OSO at a extremely cheap price to get rid of them. They take up too much space in my garage. Nothing is wrong with the drives. They are the bravos with the 1 inch prop shaft, which can be upgraded if you really wanted to do it.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:57 PM
Registered

I too am on the fence about going to a bravo... What all has to be swapped over? Is it pretty much from the flywheel back?
Old 03-30-2012, 05:03 PM
Registered

thats what it sounds like... hell of a job i guess
Old 03-30-2012, 08:34 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

from transom out, plus adding engine driven raw water pump, plus changing lower shift set-up. inner transom shield i don't think you have to change, nor flywheel or coupler.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:31 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

To do it right you replace the coupler and you have to use a Bravo Bell Housing to house the coupler due to it's increased size.

So basically you change everything from the flywheel back...plus add a sea water pump to pump water to the engine...Bravo's don't have a pump in the drive.

If you have big power and want to use it to it's full potential...go Bravo. If you KNOW that you're going to just pu$$y around with it you can get away with Alpha's...just keep looking over your shoulder.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.