What are steering pins? >

What are steering pins?

Notices

What are steering pins?

Old 04-19-2012, 06:23 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default What are steering pins?

My boat was taking on water and I took it to get it checked out since we have been slammed at work. Called me back and said the steering pins were leaking. I actually have no idea what these are or what they do. Does anyone have any pictures or can explain them? I was told they as rather expensive and can be hard to get to. I am hoping there is enough room to get to them without motor removal. They said the other option is to drill through the gimbal and put an aluminum plate over it but they really dont recommend it.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:53 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...Steering+Lever

Item #12.
It's regular steel and rust, creating pits that the seal rides on. Which in turn no longer seals.
You can buy SS pins online for $120 and never worry about them rusting again.
Best way is to remove motor, but cheapest/ fastest way is to either drill holes on each side of the gimble housing or cut the back out and cover with a SS plate. JR Marine has a kit to go this route and many go this route vs the 2 holes

Be a good time to replace the bellows while its apart.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:57 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

http://jrmarine.com/videos.htm
Old 04-20-2012, 05:56 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Mine leaked a couple years ago. I did all the research on JR Marine but finally decided I'd just yank the motors, and replace EVERYTHING in sight while I was in there so I didn't have to worry about it for another 5 years.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:03 AM
Registered

The jr kit looks ok but definitely kills that sleek factory look of the drives. My mechanic said they have been able to remove them without pulling the motors on certain boats. I have a wing on my boat so it adds a pretty hefty additional step to pulling the motors. I will wait and see what they say after researching it today.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:20 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Nothing like cutting a big ol hole and applying sealer over the decal to keep it water tight, in order to fix a small leak from a worn seal.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:53 PM
Registered

They are going to be able to fix it without drilling the holes and pulling the motors! Got the pin out with a dremel today. They recommended I not use the stainless pin because it is supposedly not as "strong" as Mercs. Total estimate for pins, boots, bellows etc was $3,000. From the research I did that seemed fairly close to what other people payed. Keep in mind it is a twin drive setup and both drives are being done completely. What a way to kickoff the season lol.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:47 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Originally Posted by FuelinAround
They recommended I not use the stainless pin because it is supposedly not as "strong" as Mercs. .
Have they noticed what the material is that the pin is located in??? That'd be aluminum....And pushing on plywood and fiberglass. Doubt a dealer could use anything other than Merc parts though.

JR Marine had a topic about this very concern several yrs ago, thus the reason they use 17-4 SS and have it heat treated.

New trailer, now this. You'll be all set for the season!
Old 04-20-2012, 08:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Have they noticed what the material is that the pin is located in??? That'd be aluminum....And pushing on plywood and fiberglass. Doubt a dealer could use anything other than Merc parts though.

JR Marine had a topic about this very concern several yrs ago, thus the reason they use 17-4 SS and have it heat treated.

New trailer, now this. You'll be all set for the season!
Now I just can't afford to go anywherelol,buuuuuuut everything works lol. Just kidding. We cancelled lake Cumberland poker run this year which was the most expensive for me so that helped alot. Looking forward to having everything 100% though.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:34 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Originally Posted by FuelinAround
We cancelled lake Cumberland poker run this year which was the most expensive for me so that helped alot. Looking forward to having everything 100% though.

We have reservations for a cabin at SD for this yr and also put our name on the waiting list for a slip. Got a call for the slip last week, but we didn't reserve it as we are going to sit this yr out. Still have the cabin for now and can cancel up to 24 hrs in advance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.