Gimball ring being rubbed my bravo drive without rub plates >

Gimball ring being rubbed my bravo drive without rub plates

Notices

Gimball ring being rubbed my bravo drive without rub plates

Old 04-27-2012, 01:48 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Gimball ring being rubbed my bravo drive without rub plates

I just got a call from my mechanic and they are telling me that my older starboard drive doesn't have rub plates on it and has rubbed down the gimball ring about 1/4 in. They are wanting to know if I want to replace it while I am in there tearing this thing apart. I don't see that this could really cause any mechanical issues. Does anyoen think I need to bite the bullet and do it?
Old 04-27-2012, 03:25 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Keeps your drive centered with the gimble bearing. Not to say how much is too much that the U-joints can't handle, but take in account that some support strength has been lost. Whats another $1k?
Old 04-27-2012, 03:28 PM
Registered

This bill is getting steep quick lol nothing breaks at the end of boating season What would cause this drive to rub it down like that? Off centered drives?
Old 04-27-2012, 03:35 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

go look at the transom assy. get pics and post here. mebbbe the mech's wife needs some new jewelery...
Old 04-27-2012, 08:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's normal wear and tear, thats why Merc started putting wear plates there on later drives. Depending on prop rotation it loads one side of the drive/gimbal ring and as you trim while under power the aluminum wears.

Ron Bender (JR Marine) fixes that. Looks like it will cost you $75 to have them build up the area and machine.

http://www.jrmarine.com/products/gimbal_repair.htm

Last edited by c_deezy; 04-27-2012 at 08:48 PM.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:50 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hinge pins on the low performance transom assy will loosen up and cause excessive wear. The one without the wear pads will get worn down.. If the drive can swing too much due to excessive clearance, things can break. When a gimbal ring or bellhousing break, bad things happen. Been there, done that. 14 months with double vision.
I would suggest you get it fixed. The J&R repair looks like the best best. Depending on how much wear is on the drive housing, and there is some I would suspect, that would be a subject to bring up with J&R.. I would think you could add the wear pads to an old style with some work on it. But I have never done it.
I would do something to resolve this, and not just let it go. It will turn out bad if you do.

Dick
Old 04-28-2012, 11:04 PM
Registered

Thanks guys
Old 04-30-2012, 04:59 PM
Registered

Received 48 Likes on 14 Posts

I had same issue on my alphas...Rubbing on the gimbal ring...pins appeared to be tight. I didn't have rings out and used PC-7 epoxy to build a "temporary" wear pad.
It appears to wear better than the Aluminum and have been in place for 5 years or so.
If you have it apart welding and remachining is obviously preferred...or installing a bolted shim.

Lane
Old 04-30-2012, 08:04 PM
Registered

Sent boh gimbals to j & r marine today. Replacing all hoses, shift boot and cables, bellows, pins etc. anything that was rubber will be brand new. Can't wait to get it back but scared to death of the bill lol.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:44 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Bill will be less than if one of them breaks, believe me!! You made the right move.

Dick

Lane, that is interesting.. a better wear pad, hmmmm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.