Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Anybody tried a Panther Safe Skeg Protector? >

Anybody tried a Panther Safe Skeg Protector?

Notices

Anybody tried a Panther Safe Skeg Protector?

Old 05-02-2012, 11:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody tried a Panther Safe Skeg Protector?

Has anyone tried this?

http://www.cabelas.com/prop-protecti...tector-3.shtml

I've got a broken piece on my Bravo I and looking to add this on, but I've heard that adding the Skeggard can lose top end. This protector doesn't have the "wing" so I would assume there wouldn't be any added drag.

Has anybody tested/used this yet?
Old 05-03-2012, 11:15 AM
Registered

I have one that I used for the same reason. I now have my skeg fixed and am no longer using it if yo9u want it. You can see it in the pic below. I didn't notice any loss of speed or anythiogn like that, but then again I don't have the fasted boat out there. I liked the looks of it as well.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:43 PM
Registered

Great. How much $$
Old 05-04-2012, 02:59 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not sure that thing is a good idea. What happens when you hit something with that on? If you smack a log or something with your skeg it sucks.... But it's not that big of a deal to get it fixed..... Now you have that on and hit something. I would think your odds of wreaking you lower case would be alot higher. Just a thought
Old 05-04-2012, 12:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by gumbya55
Great. How much $$
PM sent
Old 05-04-2012, 01:03 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mptrimshop
I am not sure that thing is a good idea. What happens when you hit something with that on? If you smack a log or something with your skeg it sucks.... But it's not that big of a deal to get it fixed..... Now you have that on and hit something. I would think your odds of wreaking you lower case would be alot higher. Just a thought
If you hit something on land (boat launch) its actually a good thing as it will sustain the dragging or hit alot more than an aluminum lower would. If its underwater at speed its hard to say...You could break off your skeg at the point the skeg guard is bolted on or ??? The skeg guard is steel and therefore stronger than the aluminum but a log is going to do damage regardless!
I had one on my powerquest and can assure everyone that you will not loose any top speed with a skeg guard--thats just an old wives tale! Personally, I like the way they look and IMO do protect the skeg in most impact situations.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:24 PM
Registered

This is what we use.The SkegShield, they were the first without the foot on the bottom.
https://www.keelshield.com/skegshield
It also comes with 3 year warranty.