Notices

skeg question???

Old 05-07-2012, 11:08 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default skeg question???

Ok if the skeg is bent slightly to one side or another can it be strightened and if so how??? Can you heat it with a torch and bend it back or will it break off??? Thanks for the help and advise in advance.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:56 AM
Registered

Be careful not to get it too hot if you heat it, dont wanna hurt any seals inside the gearcase.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:33 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thanks for the advice i think we will try with it cold first think it might work. Thanks for your help.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:44 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Bent? Never seen one bend before. That cast aluminum is pretty brittle but I guess it's possible. I wouldn't try it cold personally. Actually I can't see it being bent that bad without breaking and I don't think you'll get it back perfect again anyway. If it's not that bad I would just leave it and learn to use it as is until it either breaks by itself or you can afford to get a new lower casing. If you try to bend it back and it breaks, which I'm betting it will, then your screwed. Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:59 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had one bend when I hit a unmarked mooring in a river. A piece of the skeg broke off and because the mooring shaft got wedged between the prop and skeg, it bent. I was able to bend it back cold to within a degree or 2 and had a new piece of aluminum welded on to make it look good.