Notices

Zebre Mussels

Old 05-24-2012, 06:37 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Zebre Mussels

I have been having trouble with one engine running hot. My 1995 Formula PC has 454 engines with Bravo III outdrives and I boat in Lake St Clair, Michigan.

Tried backflushing the water inlet line and hundreds of Zebre mussels came out. Motor still overheats so there must be more of these things somewhere. Mechanic says the outdrives have to come off in order to completely clean the passages.

He is busy launching boats and can't get to me until next week. We have plans for the weekend with some friends, hate to miss the unofficial start of summer if there might be an easy fix.

After asking around I discovered several other boats in my marina are having similar issues this year. Has anybody found a way clear a clogged outdrive with the boat in the water?
Old 05-24-2012, 12:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This might sound odd, but i had a calcium problem with a tankless hotwater heater, it plugged up bad enough to where i couldnt get hot water (not enough flow to trip the sensors). Manufacturer told me to get a 5 gallon bucket and plumb into a garden pump, recirculating into the same bucket with straight vinegar. Took about 3 hours to clean it out.

This may work for you. You'd need a garden hose hookup to your drives, and probably pull one of the hoses off the gooseneck and let it flow into the bucket? Then just let her run!